Switch performance

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Switch performance

Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:25 pm

So we are all aware of the issues reported with the ToughSwitches on the Ubiquiti Forum.

I have not yet replaced all of my ToughSwitches, we have 4 more towers to convert from ToughSwitch to WISP Switch.

Late last night I logged into a customer's server that has our service and connects to a tower that still has ToughSwitches and did a speed test (see image below);
CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL SIZE
DEI 1.png
DEI 1.png (259.87 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

Then I did a test from my house to the same test server which my tower does have a WISP Switch now(see image below);
CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL SIZE
home.png
home.png (802.42 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

Now during these tests our bandwidth limiter was shut down and both AP's were pretty empty of other traffic. Both AP's are 5 GHz Rocket M5 Legacy and both are running a 20 MHz wide channel.

My test's were NOT controlled lab tests and there could be any number of circumstances interfering with the results but interesting results never the less!

However to be fair we are in the process of tracking down something that is haunting our network performance and it may be possible that it is affecting the performance of BOTH tests?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Re: Switch performance

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:20 am

Chris,
While this is interesting... in my experience, this is not how the ToughSwitch issue manifests itself. You normally see a double reverse upload speed if you're experiencing the TS issue (ie 24 meg down and 45 meg upload).

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:38 am

I'm not sure?

I never really saw the same or should I say as bad of issues with TS that others reported but some people that I talked to reported slower up link speeds with TS than download speeds.

I was just working on another issue as I explained that is causing issues within our network so I was using DEI's server which was connected to a tower with ToughSwitches. Similar configurations between his setup and my house which is why I used it. Our issue is "weird" and has been haunting us for many months. I would get into the specifics but it is that weird that it would take several pages to explain and then since we are not sure the cause you might not understand what I am looking for. - WEIRD ISSUE

The 2 AP's have about the same number of clients and both our Radios are in NAT mode as this is a small business and no matter what I did I could not get his uplink speed any better.

That tower will be getting upgraded with a WISP Switch, after I upgrade that tower to a WISP Switch I plan to re-run the same tests (late at night again of course) and see what happens.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:40 am

And the Rev A is working great ;-) I'm hoping the swap gets delayed long enough to get a D/C switch hehe ;-)

Return to General Discussion