Throughput Chart reading more than what's flowing through BH

bhesterberg

Throughput Chart reading more than what's flowing through BH

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:17 pm

WS-26-400-AC v1.4.9(just updated from 1.4.7)
This switch has been in for about 8 months. Been running on 1.4.7 until this morning.
So this morning I did a backhaul upgrade. Switched from the old UBNT 5gac BH to a Metrolinq ML2.5-60. I was nervous about using 60GHz so I wanted to leave the old 5gac BH in place as a failover. I hadn't done RSTP in the past, but needed to for both BH's to run at the same time. I'll paste the RSTP config page below. Everything worked fine before the upgrade, and it seemed to work fine after as well. It wasn't until about 4 hours after the switchover that I started seeing extremely high throughput on the switch looking at "total throughput". It was showing 500-700mb throughput. I checked the new BH and it was pushing about 120mb. Everything feeds through this new BH so I'm not sure where the extra 500mb is coming from or going to. What else do you want to know? Is this affecting my available throughput on the switch or is it a bug?
2-20-2018-CoreRouter-Traffic.PNG
Core Router Traffic

2-20-2018-Gifford-Switch-HeavyLoad.PNG
Netonix Switch Showing too much traffic

2-20-2018-Gifford-Switch-RSTP-config.PNG
RSTP Config Page

2-20-2018-LibreNMS-Traffic-on-CoreRouter.PNG
LibreNMS Past traffic

2-20-2018-Gifford-Switch-StatusPage.PNG
Switch Status Page

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Throughput Chart reading more than what's flowing throug

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:19 am

Total throughput is all ports Tx added together and all ports Rx added together. You can exclude individual ports from being added to the Total Throughput Graph on the Ports TAB.

Why not look at each ports graph separately and see what's on each port.

This is not a bug and the graphs have been questioned and proved many times here on the forums where the user usually figures they missed something.

Our 30 second graph is based on 1 second slices so when comparing to other equipment keep in mind they often average throughput on 5 or 6 second averages.

Take a switch in your LAB hook up 2 laptops and transfer a LARGE file and look at graphs and look at windows interface throughput, this is why you want a LARGE file that takes a minute or so to transfer that way no matter how many seconds they use to report throughput it will be accurate on a large transfer that takes more than 10 seconds to transfer.

Here is a program made by MSI called Ispeeder, its an older program but still works on most windows installation and provides very accurate Ethernet throughput also based on 1 second average.
firmware/ISPEEDER.EXE

I can promise you there is no BUG in our graphs.

Another possibility is a TON of pause Frames from Flow Control. Check the stats on each Ethernet port (Click little gears on Main Status TAB) for excessive Pause Frames.

ALSO UPGRADE TO v1.4.9 as there are other bugs in v1.4.8
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:36 am

OH, I forgot to answer another question.

The switch core is capable of passing line speed on all ports at the same time which this is a 26 port switch so all 26 ports can be passing 1G FD at the same time same as most other switches. This is not a router or soft switch but a switch core which means it is rated at line speed of all ports at all times.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

bhesterberg

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 am

Thanks for the evening response.
I have flow control disabled on all ports.
I'm already on v1.4.9 as you can see in my status page pic above, and in the post itself.
CPU is also running between 75-85%.
I understand that the total means total, one readout for total Rx and one for total Tx. I get that. So here's a pic of that port's traffic from what the Netonix says, and another pic from what the BH connected to that ports says. The Netonix says over 600mb is running through that port, but that BH that's connected to it shows about 250mb on average. So my question, again, was, Where is that extra 350mb being generated from? It's not running over the BH.
There are no Pause Frame errors. There are Receive errors. I've attached a pic.
2-20-2018-Giff-Switch-Port3-Traffic.PNG
BH on Port3 Traffic
2-20-2018-Giff-Switch-Port3-Traffic.PNG (11.36 KiB) Viewed 14344 times

2-20-2018-CoreRouter-Traffic1.PNG
Core Router

2-20-2018-60g-Traffic.PNG
BH on Netonix Port3 Traffic

2-20-2018-Giff-Switch-Port3-Detail.PNG
Netonix Port3 Detail

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:30 am

bhesterberg

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:33 am

Ok, so what about all the extra bandwidth seemingly coming out of nowhere, and going nowhere? That was my whole reason for posting this. Something is going on, and I'm trying to get some help for it. Can you please answer my question?

bhesterberg

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 am

Why am I even wasting my time taking all these screenshots, saving them and posting them in this forum if you won't even look at them and try and offer some suggestion?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:38 am

Compare the graph of the switch port to your radio to the throughput of the radio.

Why are you looking at the total throughput graph?

Like I said look at the graph for each port and see what other traffic between other ports may be going on contributing to the total throughput graph.

When you select the port line on the Status TAB you see a graph for that port, compare it to the radio graph on that port.

bhesterberg

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:41 am

Did you even look at the pictures??? Go back and look at all those pictures I posted. The second set of them. You can clearly see it says PORT 3, with a Rx of 647.50mb of traffic. The OTHER pic shows the traffic graph on the BH that corresponds to the PORT3 that it's plugged into on the Netonix switch.

bhesterberg

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:48 am

So the Netonix shows 647.50mb of traffic ON PORT 3(this is the port the backhaul is on), the Backhaul shows around 200mb and the core router shows around 200mb.
Something is wrong. You say that the Netonix can't possibly be wrong. On the same token, it can't be both the core router AND the backhaul being wrong.
So that means the Netonix has something else going on. Are you going to help me find it? Because everything is pointing to an issue on the Netonix. Wrong setting, user error, whatever... I just want to get it figured out.

Next
Return to General Discussion