Configuration help required for unusual setup

jackkirk

Configuration help required for unusual setup

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi,

First post on this forum and very limited exposure to WISP switches so please excuse (but correct) any misunderstanding I may expose.

I am doing a project that ultimately will involve initially 4 sites, 20 odd IP cameras per site, all remote and solar powered.

I am currently setting up a test site with a WS-8-150-DC, 2 IP cameras, solar regulator hooked up via LAN and 2? 4G modem/routers - primarily to test out the cameras and solar regulator in a pseudo production mode.

The 4G routers are just a temporary expedient - adequate for 2 cameras but will be replaced by microwave or the like in production.

I anticipate the uploads during this test phase to total around 100GB/month

I want to be able to remotely access the whole kit from the WAN side but have hit a snag.

In Australia I can get 2 types of 4G SIM plans:

o PLAN A (my description) - 100GB/mo private IP (i.e. no port forwarding capability) at about AUD70 - relatively cheap

o PLAN B - 5GB/mo public static IP (i.e. port forwarding possible) at about AUD22 thru 30GB/mo at AUD99 - ridiculously expensive

What I would like to be able to do is hook both 4G routers up to the WS-8-150-DC:

o One with a SIM on PLAN A - to upload all camera images

o One with a SIM on PLAN B - to handle all port forwarding and allow remote configuration control of 4G routers, WISP switch, cameras and solar regulator

I would like to know firstly if this can be done?

If the answer is yes then I would like to know how (with as much detail as you are willing to offer).

Thanks in anticipation...

wirelessblue

Re: Configuration help required for unusual setup

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:44 pm

What you need is a VPN router. I personally use Pepwave MAX BR1 units (The MAX BR1 Mini is particularly nice since it will run from 24v Passive PoE but needs the license to activate the WAN port unless cellular only) to manage my infrastructure. They have a cellular modem and a WAN port. Their PepVPN/SpeedFusion VPN solution is excellent and fails over nicely to cellular but it does need a Peplink router somewhere else to connect to. I use a Peplink Balance 380 in the datacenter but something like a Balance One Core with a 5 PepVPN license upgrade will work. You can also manage the router itself remotely through their InControl2 solution.

Return to General Discussion