Re: Feature request: Set CoS (PCP) and DSCP

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:37 pm

I asked Stephen to look into it.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:45 pm

Interesting feature request, first time I've been directed to this part of the forum.
I will investigate to see what it would take to implement this.

We're also hard at work right now trying to get the new WS3/WS2 switches completed so we can start getting them into your hands, and also improving RMA work-flow. But I will read through this and cross-examine it with our code.

jakematic
Experienced Member

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:50 am

Stephen wrote:Interesting feature request, first time I've been directed to this part of the forum.
I will investigate to see what it would take to implement this.

We're also hard at work right now trying to get the new WS3/WS2 switches completed so we can start getting them into your hands, and also improving RMA work-flow. But I will read through this and cross-examine it with our code.

As in "General Discussion" ?

We all appreciate you're 'working hard' on some magical new switches that have been delayed for over a year.
Chris is MIA, RMA's are completely ignored, the website has it's pants around the ankles, and Dave is telling you what posts to answer daily since Eric has been gone for months (likely flitting off to Oz again for 6 months at a time) - and somehow years and months old bugs still exist ? Forget about feature requests unless it's more bloat.
But hey... other than the bots, spammers, and Les at least Dave is online the 5 or 6 times per day I check in here.

Today a sheaf of ballots arrived in the mail - if any of your names were on them there would be a large X instead of a check mark.
Give us real updates instead of broken promises. This is turning into another UniFi debacle.

I speak from experience; my family has been in business for over 100 years now, I got out of it 40 years ago and worked in organizations that demanded and delivered excellence under my watch.
Give us the same respect or close up shop.

EDIT: It pains me to see questions go un-answered for weeks and months here since the community isn't welcomed to in fear of being jumped all over. To those who've answered others recently, thank you.

Dave
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:20 am

yup, its been rough last few months...one of our issues is we didn't get orders for parts in advance enough, the market slowed down delivering parts, so we got screwed for inventory.

then we made the mistake of letting distributors but large back orders in, which we are slowly filling now, so our inventory at our store always looks sad.

it is gonna unfortunately take us most of this month to catch up on the large disty back orders, and then stock shall start appearing at the store.

on top of it we are trying to hire more staff, but in todays unemployment scene, it is proving tough to find people in our local to hire.

the new switches are coming (I have them on my bench), but they are behind the back orders to be pushed out.

and I am working on trying to fix the RMA issue overall.

And I am also working on our forum from the perspective of getting jumped on, which should never happen.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:10 pm

jakematic wrote:
Stephen wrote:But hey... other than the bots, spammers, and Les at least Dave is online the 5 or 6 times per day I check in here...

Not sure why you dragged me into this. Lately I just fight spam here and leave most of the support to others.
Speaking of spam, Eric did change the Captcha on my request so spambots are no more. Just a few human spammers.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:44 pm

jackmatic,

you jump into my feature request to say forget "feature request" when I've been asking for 2 years.

You may know about business but do you know anything about QoS ? I think not since you don't seem to understand why this feature request is so important.

Some feature like IGMP snooping may be brooken but those are only use by niche players doing multicast IPTV over wireless while every WISP need QoS even if the don't know it. Multicast IPTV is even the niche market of IPTV since anyway, the TV market is moving to unicast because of on-demand TV.

No 10 Gb/s SFP switch yet ? It's not critical and LACP is a good workaround.
What are those famous bug ?
STP ? I've been running STP on netonix at my core since day 1.
I've seen bug with discovery affecting performance but now, I only enable it when needed instead of always have it enabled.

Ok, RMA are ignore since Chris is working on something else but Stephen and Eric won't fix RMA so why not add this features while waiting for new hardware ? I personally keep a good stock of netonix, and every other devices I install often, in our warehouse so my last new 250-AC was use 2 week ago and I have 10 other used one on bench to make sure I'm confident to reuse those in production so I'm not affected by production issue.

So, with 100 years of business experience in your family, must I understand you where not ready for a stock issue and some late RMA ?

If you want to express your frustration, do it in your own post.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:10 pm

mike99 don't worry I am not going to forget your request. I see how it can be useful and am looking forward to the challenge of adding it to our system's.

I understand why everyone is frustrated. I am the lowest person on the totem pole in this company so there's not much more I can do then be in the code as long as possible. Me and Dave have been working late hours every night trading note's completing our task on the new switches. While also trying to handle question's from here and accumulating task's while this one is finished. Dave has been helping me by filtering out request's that are specific to my knowledge base. He is a good teammate.

One other note, at the moment I don't know about any critical bugs in the WS series. The biggest, MOST important one that we tackled in the last year was vtss_appl's crash's. If that one is showing up somewhere, then please start a new post with the log file's and I will refocus on it immediately.

scfitzge

Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:34 am

+1 for this request, as a WISP that is also a telephone service provider. It would free our routers from doing the priority marking, which would in turn let them start using hardware acceleration of other tasks, in turn increasing our overall throughput capacity at the router nodes.

Previous
Return to General Discussion