Tower Switch

ncats

Tower Switch

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:39 pm

I see there are some very old promises of a Netonix Tower Switch that are now hidden in the forums. Is it safe to assume Netonix gave up on this plan?

In our case, I took an 8-150-DC and put it inside an aluminium box for shielding and stuck that 400' in the air with a shielded DC line and a pair of fiber. It's been running for about a year without issue, but I'm still very uncomfortable with this setup. Mostly because the 8-150-DC has a fan in it and I'm paranoid about overheating. Plus, my confidence in Netonix has been somewhat diminished because of one switch, the 6-MINI. We've lost a few of them already for unknown reasons. Surges and power outages most likely.

Edgepoint is a possible replacement for this switch, but edgpoint is a router. No switching chip, just bridging. No port isolation. Poor Statistics. An outside version of the WISP Switch would be nice. In our case, we don't even need to have the fancy power regulator. IF heat is an issue, a passive 24v would be fine or even dual input voltage. Two cat-5 cables running 24v and 56v. This way, the ISP can decide to use one or both.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Tower Switch

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:48 pm

No, not given up on. Simply waiting on funding.

2018 will be the first year Netonix is in the black finally.

Each normal type switch (indoor) can cost upwards of $250,000.00 to design, test, certify, and bring to production. The tower switch will be more plus we wanted to base it on the WS2 line of switches which are due to come out Q1 and Q2 of 2018.

Plus we are learning and improving as we go along so many design advancements will greatly benefit the Tower Switch when we finally do it.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion