STP Role

Baynn

STP Role

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi again guys,

Completely new to the world of Wisp Switch still, we mainly bought them for the obvious space saving reasons of removing the POE's and way easier to cable manage, but the options and features are incredible and I'm trying to learn as much as possible to best utilize the product.

One problem I am having is figuring out how to assign a radio to the Root role in STP. The NetMetal I asked about prior in a previous thread has hijacked the root role from my AF24. I know there is a way to manually define the role, and my quick research said raising the priority, (which you do by lowering the value?) should make the change. But even setting the number to 0 made no change.

The AF24 is in port 1, and the NetMetal port 2. I switched everything back to default prior to taking the screenshot.

Thanks for dealing with my ignorance. We only have about 800 customers, so still lots to learn, and look forward to getting every bit of performance I can from these units.

Cheers!
Attachments
Role STP.png

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: STP Role

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Root is a switch in STP, not a port.

Priority define path to root switch. To define the root switch lower the 32768 value.

To use stp, you must be all layer 2 between 2 switch.

Aster setting root, lower priority on ports connecting both aide of the af24.

Baynn

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:18 pm

If we don't have any sort or redundancy yet, does it make more sense just to turn it off completely?

PS: Any links or suggestions to get started learning on this would be awesome

Baynn

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:19 pm

FOUND IT, adding the answer here for anyone else looking!

So, the NetMetal has rtsp enabled by the default ptp config, and it seems to hijack the Netonix and I guess designate itself king. By disabling rtsp on the NetMetal, the Netonix assigns the correct port to the root role, my AF24.

If anyone knows the technical reason why, I'd be interested, but now, I'm just happy it's fixed.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:23 pm

The lower mac address win STP root role if you don't change the STP root switch priority. If the Mikrotik was root swtich, all traffic was trying to find the shortest path to the Netmetal.

Return to General Discussion