Converting tower site from AC to DC

ALXMADRID

Converting tower site from AC to DC

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:16 pm

We are converting a site for AC to DC and have installed one WS-12-250-DC switch. Working fine but on a bit of a load.

Site has:
4 AF24s, (3 are currently being powered by the WS-12-250-DC - midspan power mode)
2 Nano M5s, (not curently powered by WS-12-250-DC, NOOB error on cable diagnostics)
2 Trango 5830s (not powered from the switch)
1 Uplink to another Cisco
1 Geist temp sensor

WS-12-250-DC is currently drawing 3.6 amps (outputting 161 watts)

4 batteries for a 48 volt system, charged by Tycon TP-BC48-300 - 48VDC 300W

We are planning to add another WS-8-150-DC to power the 4th AF24 and provide a few more ports for temp sensors and such.
If we power the WS-8-150-DC from the Tycon we may be trying to pull more amps than the 6 it is rated at.
Can we attach the WS-8-150-DC directly to the batteries without risk to the switch?
Second question: Should we be connecting the Netonix switches to the batteries in the first place?

Please be gentle with your answers, this is our first foray into the DC world.

Any other suggestions would be welcome

Thank You,

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Converting tower site from AC to DC

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Our SMART DC switches are designed to hook directly to the battery bank not a power supply.

Then use a charging unit to charge and maintain the batteries.

I like Optima Blue Top AGM batteries
https://www.google.com/search?q=optima+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

If you are going to use a power supply to feed the switch then use the WS-12-DC which has no power supply and expects 48-54V DC input from a power supply.

The beauty of the SMART DC is it can in an EMERGENCY run your battery bank all the way down to dead

And if you use a SMART charger like the Minn Kota charger they come in 1 to 4 battery bank units that charge each battery separately and can recover dead batteries by charging 10+ Amps per battery. With Minn Kota you can select to run the 4 batteries in series for 48V which I recommend or parallel for 12V which I do not recommend as 12V is inefficient supply for the SMART switches. Or you can run in hybrid parallel / series for 24V which is also a good idea.

Minn Kota chargers are a Tank
https://www.google.com/search?q=minn+ko ... e&ie=UTF-8
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

ALXMADRID

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Thank You, that's what I was looking for. We will make a small change and go with the following,
possibly two of the WS-12-250-DC.

Later we will look into a minkota 4 bank solution also.

Thank You

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:32 pm

I would use the chargers I suggested as they charge each battery separately and can recover a fully dead battery.

You would want a 4 battery bank multi stage INTELLIGENT charger each channel capable of 10A so combine 40A charge which will recover completely dead batteries.

Also why not use the WS-26-500-DC instead of 2 switches?
https://www.netonix.com/wisp-switch/ws-26-500-dc.html
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion