port diagnostic procedure

jeffcrews

port diagnostic procedure

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:49 pm

We have a few WISP Switches in our WISP network and they seem to work.

We have read a little in the forums but have not committed to read every post and know all there is to know about the switch.

We have upgraded firmware and figured out how to use them on our own.

Is there any draft version of a manual yet? I know the paper shipped with the switch apologizes for no manual yet.

Just wanted to confirm if searching and posting in the forums is the only way to get help.

Is there a post the says exactly how the port diagnostic is supposed to be used?

I understand it is important to avoid applying PoE or connecting non PoE devices to ports or cables with problems.

I read the bench test procedure:
http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php? ... cs+#p19221

The low grade 10/100 device results:
http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php? ... cs+#p17109

So in the field deployment it seems we should procede like this:

1. power up the switch

2. connect a computer to the switch to manage it locally

3. run port diagnostic on a switch port you want to use with nothing connected and no PoE turned on, confirm no short or cross and all cable length is same

4. connect your cable to the switch port you want to use and do not connect equipment to the far end. run port diagnostic with no PoE turned on, confirm no short or cross and all cable length is close to the same

5. connect your equipment to the far end of the cable. run port diagnostic with no PoE turned on, confirm no short or cross and all cable length is close to the same

6. if your device needs PoE, select the correct voltage and current (V vs VH) wait for your device to boot and then run port diagnostic, confirm no short or cross and all cable length is close to the same

Are these 6 steps correct? Should test results be exactly the same at each step other than the cable length will change? It seems steps 5 and 6 could cause get mixed results with equipment on the far end. Not sure what those port diagnostic results should be.

As long as there are no shorts or cross wires we should be ok?

We always use a Fluke CableIQ to make sure that the cable is good before we use it. That device has exclusive access to the cable as it has a component on each end during it's test.

Just wanting to make sure we are doing this right.

After equipment has been connected on a switch port if we run a cable diagnostic should that always be run with PoE off?

Is running cable diagnostic with equipment connected, PoE off with nobody at the tower going to give useful results?

Just checking...if there is a document on this...please point me to it...thanks.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: port diagnostic procedure

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:05 pm

Read this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1178#p8809

Plugging your cable in then turning on POE will automatically run cable diagnostics if you do not turn POE SMART OFF on the Port TAB and refuse to turn POE on if it detects a CROSS-SHORT

Experiment with this, turn POE on and then look in switch log, you will see the test being performed.

No we have no manual.

The forum is vast but there is a search feature and an advanced search feature which can easily find answers to common questions.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Julian

Re: port diagnostic procedure

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:59 pm

There is also an instructional video to watch: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1037#p7783

I've had several people tell me that it's the bee's knees as far as informational content.

Return to General Discussion