Compatible SFP Modules - FIRST POST IS COMPILED LIST

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Re: Compatible SFP Modules

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:47 am

boydsoftprez wrote:I have Some FiberStore BiDi 1310 / 1550 20Km BLSFP-1G35-20-CO and BLSFP-1G53-20-CO Modules that kinda work.

I'll order some and try them. Did you get modules with DDM or without?

boydsoftprez

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:41 am

Eric Stern wrote:
boydsoftprez wrote:I have Some FiberStore BiDi 1310 / 1550 20Km BLSFP-1G35-20-CO and BLSFP-1G53-20-CO Modules that kinda work.
I'll order some and try them. Did you get modules with DDM or without?

I ordered the "Cisco compatible" With DDM.

Thanks for looking into this. We have many Netonix switches in production and are starting to use many Fiberstore SFP's on our network. It would be great if they worked correctly.

suge

Fiber and SFP problems

Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:29 pm

Is anyone else having issues with fiber connections and SFP's from cisco?

I have 2 installations that have problems.

1st one is Cisco Single mode to single mode SFP's between 2 netonix switches setup with STP and or LAG's. These just wont work or are really flaky and error out all the time. It all depends on how I restart the switches. But it seems to be a bug in how the switch initializes the ports.

The other issue is going between a cisco 2960 and a Netonix switch using Cisco Multimode sfp's. The 2 switches wont link up at all. Tested fiber just fine. When I plug each switch into my fluke with the sfp respective to the switch it connects fine, just not between switches.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Fiber and SFP problems

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:49 pm

suge wrote:Is anyone else having issues with fiber connections and SFP's from cisco?

I have 2 installations that have problems.

1st one is Cisco Single mode to single mode SFP's between 2 netonix switches setup with STP and or LAG's. These just wont work or are really flaky and error out all the time. It all depends on how I restart the switches. But it seems to be a bug in how the switch initializes the ports.

The other issue is going between a cisco 2960 and a Netonix switch using Cisco Multimode sfp's. The 2 switches wont link up at all. Tested fiber just fine. When I plug each switch into my fluke with the sfp respective to the switch it connects fine, just not between switches.

I moved your post into the proper thread.

SFP modules vary from one manufacturer to another. Some follow industry standards some follow their own standard.

In this thread you can find some modules that have been tested to work fine with our switch and others that do not.

We originally would purchase SFP modules that people asked us to see if we could modify the firmware in some way to work with the SFP module but this seems like an expensive and never ending proposition for us especially with name brand SFP modules like Cisco which can cost hundreds of dollars.

I think we need to re-think this.

Maybe can get people to send us the SFP modules they want us to try and support and we will attempt to do so then return the SFP modules once we are done with them?

Another option is there are some Single mode SFP modules listed further up in this thread that are tested to work.

It would help other users and us if you would list specific model numbers.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

suge

Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:40 pm

One is on your list that I can see, GLC-SX-MM. It is connecting to the cisco switch.

GLC-LH-SM is the one I have running in a LAG on two different Netonix switches. For simplicity, we'll just try and figure out why the MM's aren't working for now.

The Single modes work fine, not when you aggregate them though.

sakita
Experienced Member

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:11 pm

We have a need to use 100Mb SFPs. Do the SFP ports on the WS-12-250-AC support 100Mb modules? Has anyone tried any 100Mb SFPs?

I noticed one of the recent firmware release notes mentions correcting for modules that are incorrectly detected as 100Mb... so I'm hopeful :geek: .
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:18 pm

To be honest I do not even have any 100M modules to test with?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

wolfcreek

Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:39 pm

The Maxxwave MX-LX-SM-US 1G SFP's seem to work fine and they are pretty cheap from Baltic Networks and they work with just about everything else we have tried
ie: Brocade, Hot Lava, Mikrotik, etc. They say DDM on them but they are working with the Netonix fine. They are about 25.00 on sale and they are on sale a lot.

Most of the finisar ones we have laying around seem to work as well

yahel

SFP interoperability with Mikrotik RB-FTC-11

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:31 am

This should probably go on the Mikrotik/Routerboard forums - as it's likely their fault, but should make Netonix users aware:

We were unable to get Netonix to work with this Mikrotik media converter.. Replacing it with a cheap TP-link media converter, or with most smart switches worked fine.
However, that RB-FTC-11 works fine with any other devices than Netonix - it works fine with the cheap TP-link converters and with all smart switches I've tested.
To be fair, to get it to work with Mikrotik switches - one must set the switch's SFP to "auto negotiate" - if set to force 1000FD it won't work with this device.
Sadly, Netonix does not offer the option to enable nor disable auto-negotiation, and I'm not sure how it's set.
(Disabling flow-control didn't help either).

Here's another interesting bit of info - when the Netonix boots, it does get a few pings through the fiber with the RB-FTC-11 on the remote end - then stops.
The RX counter shows about 618 packets went in (a bit less than 4KB of data) and it does not increase anymore (TX does increase - I didn't sniff on the remote end to see if it gets anything). So perhaps, if Netonix would not do what it does towards the end of the boot process, this would work fine?

Anyways JFYI and I wonder if anyone might have any comments?
I would really like Netonix to work with these media converters - we love em...

bmv

Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:03 pm

The TP-Link TL-SM311LS is compatible and tested with the WS-8-250-DC.
Running 2 x TP-Link TL-SM311LS in the WS-8-250-DC connecting back to a pair of TP-LINK MC210CS media converters at the remote end.
Last edited by bmv on Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion