Compatible SFP Modules - FIRST POST IS COMPILED LIST

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: Compatible SFP Modules

Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:46 am

Mikrotik S+DA0001r2 (SFP+ DAC 1M) seem to work fine. The cheapest way I found to link two SFPs ports.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:50 am

Yea we are changing the default MTU on the next spin of the firmware.

I am finding some switch manufacturers always add 4 to 16 bytes behind the scenes to whatever MTU their UI is set to, we did not.

So the default MTU of 1518 is pretty much only good if you are not doing any VLANs, or not passing any Tagged VLANs OUT any ports.

We are going to change the default.

I standardized on a 1528 MTU for my configurations but I am giving myself some breathing room.

I only run a standard 1500 MTU throughout my entire network because a larger MTU or TCP Window can aspirate wireless errors. However when you introduce VLANs and encapsulation protocols like VPN and TZSP to name but 2 you need a larger MTU.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

ste

Fiber autonegotiation

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:57 am

Tried to connect a SAF Lumina with 1G SM Fiber to a WS-12-250-AC. I am using a Level One SFP.
Connection works but the Lumina shows Half Duplex and no Flow Control. I cant hard code the
Lumina settings. WS side has FC checked. There is no setting for autoneg on/off on the WS.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Fiber autonegotiation

Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:48 am

ste wrote:Tried to connect a SAF Lumina with 1G SM Fiber to a WS-12-250-AC. I am using a Level One SFP.
Connection works but the Lumina shows Half Duplex and no Flow Control. I cant hard code the
Lumina settings. WS side has FC checked. There is no setting for autoneg on/off on the WS.

I moved your post the thread that makes more sense.

With that being said you need to first determine if this SFP model works with the WS under normal circumstances because we do not have that SFP model (Level One) in our lab nor do we have this LUMINA radio.

However Level One does use the same switch core as us in some of their switch models (Vitesse VSC-7427).

I would try this SFP module in a WS and try to talk to another switch to determine if the SFP module performs as desired in our switch.

You could also look above in this thread for known SFP modules that work and try one of them with the Lumina.

Verify that the Lumina talks to another device properly because we have no idea if this is in pre-production lab or already on a tower where the fault could be with the fiber or the Lumina.

Too many variables for us to be of much help.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

ste

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:38 am

So autonegotiation and flow control is a function of the SFP and not the switch containing the SFP?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Flow control can be turned OFF on our SFP ports?

HOWEVER Flow control DEPENDS on Auto Negotiation, not just with our switch but "ANY" Ethernet Device as Flow Control is part of the Auto Negotiation protocol.

Anytime you HARD set speed and or Duplex you DISABLE Flow Control as Flow Control only works on Auto with ANY device because that is the standard.

We do not allow you to select Speed Duplex with our SFP ports though, I suppose we could but we found that with so many SFP manufacturers auto works best.

Why the Limina is linking up with the Level One SFP module I would guess is an incompatibility between the SFP Module and Lumina as we are telling the SFP module to Auto Negotiate.

I would try various other SFP module and find one that works well with the Lumina.

ste

Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:09 pm

sirhc wrote:Flow control can be turned OFF on our SFP ports?

HOWEVER Flow control DEPENDS on Auto Negotiation, not just with our switch but "ANY" Ethernet Device as Flow Control is part of the Auto Negotiation protocol.

Anytime you HARD set speed and or Duplex you DISABLE Flow Control as Flow Control only works on Auto with ANY device because that is the standard.

We do not allow you to select Speed Duplex with our SFP ports though, I suppose we could but we found that with so many SFP manufacturers auto works best.

Why the Limina is linking up with the Level One SFP module I would guess is an incompatibility between the SFP Module and Lumina as we are telling the SFP module to Auto Negotiate.

I would try various other SFP module and find one that works well with the Lumina.

No it cant be turned of.

It is some kind of guess work to find the working combination. We use this level one module often as it works fine with our other switches.
There it works with SAF Luminas perfect (AN and FC). So I guess there is a compatibility problem between WS and Level1.

Will try some other combinations.

But: Where does the WS-Switch show the FC autonegotiation result? I dont want to test SFP Ports on our live network and do not have spare luminas for testing. Mikrotik does not show this info either.

ste

Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:01 am

Tested all SFPs we have against a Cisco Switch:

Does not work:
Level One SFP-3211
Mikrotik S-31DLC20D
Oersen SA1
Alcatel Lucent 3FE
Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL

Setting the speed fixed at the cisco side gives a link with some of them but this disables FlowControl

It would be a good idea to at least make the Mikrotik Module work as it is available/used for/by WISPs.

Sidenote: Plugging the Mikrotik Module in a Mikrotik CCR Autonegotiation does not work against the cisco. Plugging the same Module in a cheap Mikrotik GSP-Switch Autonegotiation and Flow Control work. The autonegotiation information from interface monitor at Mikrotik does only tell the settings and not the actual state.

ste

Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:18 am

NickOlsen wrote:Few modules I've tried in my WS-24-400A's.

Seems to work fine:
Maxxwave MW-LX-SM-US
Maxxwave MW-SX-MM-US

DOES NOT WORK:
Mikrotik DDM matched pair S-53LC20D/S-35LC20D.
OEM Optic DDM matched pair GLC-BX-U-00/GLC-BX-D-00

As soon as the SFP is inserted, It starts spewing the below in the log. And about 50% of the time, Causes the switch to reboot. Upon reboot, The fans spin full speed and never come down. And the status page shows no fan rpm, Or 48/24v rail voltages.

Mar 31 15:24:07 switch[747]: i2c_read failed after 5 tries: Failed writing command to slave

Submitted a support request with Chris.

With Maxxwave MW-LX-SM-US you can leave both sides of the link at autonegotiation or do you need to set fixed rates at one side?
Do they autonegotiate FlowControl?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:24 am

Flow Control must be turned ON with the WISP Switch (it is ON by Default)

For Flow Control to work the Ports Speed must be set to Auto as Flow Control is a Function of the Auto Negotiation Protocol on any product.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion