Compatible SFP Modules - FIRST POST IS COMPILED LIST

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Re: Compatible SFP Modules

Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:58 am

sirhc wrote:Are they the same firmware versions (hopefully v1.4.2) and did you try switching between 1G and Auto (on both devices on each sides of the cable).

Changing to 1G instead of AUTO and it's working :hurray:

I'm not running 1.4.2 yet. At office I tested with 1.3.9 which is the version I'm running in production.
I plan to schedule upgrading to 1.4.2 using Netonix Manager....

wispwest

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:48 pm

Trying out Mikrotik S-RJ01 SFP to RJ45 10/100/1G Ethernet copper, WS-12-250-AC see's it, but no link. Forced to 1G from Auto and it links, but no data passes.

I am running the latest stable 1.4.2, will try the latest beta and see if any difference

UPDATE: 1.4.3rc did not solve the issue, so looks like either Mikrotik SFP copper modules won't work, or there's a firmware bug

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:29 pm

wispwest wrote:Trying out Mikrotik S-RJ01 SFP to RJ45 10/100/1G Ethernet copper, WS-12-250-AC see's it, but no link. Forced to 1G from Auto and it links, but no data passes.

I am running the latest stable 1.4.2, will try the latest beta and see if any difference

UPDATE: 1.4.3rc did not solve the issue, so looks like either Mikrotik SFP copper modules won't work, or there's a firmware bug

There is no bug, not all modules will work with all SFP cages.

Did you test the SFP module in another device to make sure it is not simply bad?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

maglito

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:49 am

Is there a direct attach SFP jumper people can recommend from mikrotik CCR SFP (not SFP+) to Netonix?

Last night we tested the maxxwave 1m direct attach cabe
http://www.balticnetworks.com/maxxwave- ... le-1m.html

And when setting the SFP port on the netonix to 1G (from auto) it "seemed" to work.

In that I could configure the switch but noticed the web interface would periodically lose connection.

Running a standard 64byte ping from the mikrotik to the netonix would show random packet loss anywhere from 1% - 5%

I tried this with every combination of auto negotiation on/off flow control on/off and SFP high/low on the mikrotik side to no avail.

We've had great luck with the Maxxwave copper SFP connectors as others in the thread have commented.

http://www.balticnetworks.com/maxxwave- ... odule.html

So we swapped out to those, and everything is 100%.

We have also confirmed the Mikrotik copper SFP adapters don't work on the Netonix as others in this thread had commented.
https://routerboard.com/S-RJ01

So, trying this mikrotik direct attach SFP is probably not worthwhile (another person in this thread said it perhaps worked for him only after increasing the MTU on the switch)
https://routerboard.com/SplusDA0001

The incompatibility of the Maxxwave direct attach SFP was confirmed on two Netonix WS-12-250-DC switches running the latest 1.4.3rc7 and Mikrotik CCR latest stable 6.36

Has anyone tried any of these?
http://www.fs.com/c/direct-attach-cable ... e&count=24

Or what modules and fiber jumpers are most people using inside their racks for short <=1M SFP-->SFP connections?

Thanks!

Dave
Employee
Employee

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:22 pm

please make sure you are trying latest release when doing this testing, as we made some improvements regarding SFP's in recent releases.

maglito

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:01 pm

Again still 1.4.3rc7...

After reading that others in this thread had luck with the Maxxwave single mode fiber SFP I tried the maxxwave Multimode SFP MW-SX-MM-US
This does not work (seems to work and exhibits the exact same phenomenon I described above with the maxxwave direct attach cable: random ~5% packet drops

Still interested to hear what multimode SFP modules or SFP direct attach cables people have had luck with for short patch runs.

Solution was to swap back to the trusty maxxwave copper SFP and everything was back to 100% (aka 0% loss).

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:37 pm

I take it you did try setting both sides of the SFP link to AUTO and then 1G as some modules work better hard coded to 1G yet others work better set to AUTO but you have to try setting both sides to match each other.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

maglito

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:01 pm

I left it on 1G on the netonix side since it was on the live network.

I'll have them reinstalled on the unused sfp port and try auto and report back later. I thought they kind of worked or they didn't with 1G vs auto but I guess we'll see.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:06 pm

maglito wrote:I left it on 1G on the netonix side since it was on the live network.

I'll have them reinstalled on the unused sfp port and try auto and report back later. I thought they kind of worked or they didn't with 1G vs auto but I guess we'll see.

You need to try changing the settings on BOTH SIDES to Auto and 1G.

This is NOT unique to Netonix but is a known procedure with SFP modules.

This is because not all manufacturers follow the industry standards.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:34 am

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion