WS-6-MINI Magnetics and Undesired PoE In

uberdome
Experienced Member

WS-6-MINI Magnetics and Undesired PoE In

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm looking for some technical information regarding the 4 pair and 2 pair only ports on the Netonix switches. I'm specifically interested in the WS-6-MINI but also the other examples.

I'm looking into whether a Mimosa G2 PoE port could be connected to a Netonix switch with its PoE off. It outputs 48VDC on a non-standard pins 3,6 +48V and pins 1,2 Return.

What would happen if PoE in the switch was turned off, but some form of PoE was applied to the port externally?

On the 2-pair only ports, are there magnetics for PoE injection on all 4 pairs, and only 2 are used, or just on the 2 pairs that are used? If they are on all 4 pairs but only 4,5 and 7,8 are used, it seems to me the G2 could be connected safely.

On the 4-pair ports, I can't even speculate about how it may or may not work.

Thank you - Chris

Julian

Re: WS-6-MINI Magnetics and Undesired PoE In

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:12 pm

On the V ports, center taps exist for the magnetics on non-POE pairs but are resistively and capacitively grounded, and are not otherwise terminated.

As far as what happens when external POE is applied- it's magnetically coupled, you shouldn't break anything on a 6-mini (as long as you don't put opposite polarities on a single pair) - this applies to both V and VH ports.

Short answer - I plugged the POE out of one of our VH ports into both ports 2 and 3 of a 6-mini - No smoke so far, it's been 15 minutes or so.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:54 pm

With the WS-6-MINI you can power it with UBNT/Netonix/MIMOSA POE bricks that devier power on all 4 pair as Port 1 of the WS-6-MINI uses bridge rectifier to correct polarity pin outs on pairs. IT WILL NOT CORRECT IMPROPER CRIMPS WHERE YOU HAVE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE ON THE SAME PAIR - POOF

All MIMOSA radios can be powered by our switches as all MIMOSA radios use bridge rectifiers on their POE IN so ignore the Polarity PIN out with MINIOSa radios as well. But once again they will not correct an improperly crimped end that puts both polarity on a single pair.

Meaning White/Orange and Orange wires must have to have the same polarity applied to them
Meaning White/Green and Green wires must have to have the same polarity applied to them
Meaning White/Blue and Blue wires must have to have the same polarity applied to them
Meaning White/Brown and Brown wires must have to have the same polarity applied to them
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Refer to this thread for a list of devices that work with our switches: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1215&start=70#p18876
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

uberdome
Experienced Member

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:19 pm

@sirhc, I'm actually asking about running a PoE supply into a PoE out port on the Netonix. @Julian explained exactly what I was looking for.

How are the functioning center taps handled with PoE is turned off? Also resistively and capacitively grounded?

Dave
Employee
Employee

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:26 pm

How are the functioning center taps handled with PoE is turned off? Also resistively and capacitively grounded?

correct

uberdome
Experienced Member

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Thank you very much.

Julian

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Glad we could help!

Return to General Discussion