Never Power WS-6-MINI With Only 2 Pairs...

uberdome
Experienced Member

Never Power WS-6-MINI With Only 2 Pairs...

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:14 pm

The requirement to power the WS-6-MINI on 4 pairs... is that just a universal statement to ensure an over-current situation does not exist, or is there another reason?

It seems to me this may just be a current carrying issue (and if you only use 2 pairs, your allowable power is cut in half), but I'm interested to know if there are other reasons.

[I want to do some networking failover testing, and I don't have enough 4-pair supplies on hand, but I have several 2-pair. Before messing with it, I'd like to know if I can work with what I have or not.]

Thank you - Chris

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Never Power WS-6-MINI With Only 2 Pairs...

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:29 pm

Pretty much that is correct.

If only powering a WS-6-MINI with 2 pair you are limited to less than .75 Amp (38 watts) total including the 6+/- watts for the switch itself so your POE budget would have to be 32 watts or less.

It just makes sense to power it with 48VH to avoid damage. Using all 8 wires also distributes ground current across 4 wires instead of 2 wires.

It is recommended to power a WS-6-MINI with either a 48VH POE option from one of our switches or use our POE adapter
https://www.netonix.com/accessories/npoe-54v-80w.html

Or use the UBNT airFIBER 5 / 24 POE brick or the 53V 80 watt UBNT POE adapter.
You can also use the MIMOSA POE adapters as I think most of them use all 4 pairs.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

uberdome
Experienced Member

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Thank you, this makes sense.

sirhc wrote:You can also use the MIMOSA POE adapters as I think most of them use all 4 pairs.

The question actually stems from having several of the wall-mount Mimosa PoE adapters available, but only one Mimosa PoE brick.

So you know, the Mimosa white wall-mount PoE adapters and their G2 are only 2 pair, while the black brick is 4 pair.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:15 pm

OK well you need to use a POE brick that delivers power on ll 4 pair.

We also sale one
https://www.netonix.com/accessories/npoe-54v-80w.html
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion