Mini 6 Max Temperature

BaldwinCo

Mini 6 Max Temperature

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Just had a what is normally a 1-G negotiated rate drop to a 100M-F. The port is powering an Air Prism.

Happened to notice that CPU temp is at 94 degrees C ... about 200 degrees F. Board temp is 67 C.

How resilient are these mini 6's to heat? Southwest is looking at some really hot temps in the next week or so.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Mini 6 Max Temperature

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:27 pm

Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

BaldwinCo

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. Will have to go on site and do some TLC to get port speed corrected. But if it is not temperature, it buys me some time and your reply is much appreciated!

Operating temperature of 55 C (131 F). Not sure what the temp is inside the weather tight box but it easily 100 F on the black roof just a foot away.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Thousands of these units have been installed in those boxes for 3 years, the temp is well within normal operating parameters.

I would do a cable diagnostics on the on the port with the cable plugged in and with no cable.

Refer to this post for guidance: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2780
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

cwachs
Experienced Member

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:48 pm

I am having what might be a similar issue. Running a WS-6-MINI on firmware 1.4.7 Twice now when the ambient outdoor temp is above 95 degrees F, one of our WS-6-Mini's stops responding or passing traffic. All of the POE ports are still active and all 3 of the radios attached to the switch are powered but all show a down link on their Ethernet ports going into the WS-6-Mini. If we reboot the switch and everything comes back online. When I look at the logs, I just see a cold boot message. I can't get at the switch before the reboot to look at logs. Unfortunately, this is installed on a roof (outside) and serving a bunch of customers so I can't get at it with console to see what messages are displayed.

It's only happened twice but both times were in the heat of the day on two of the hottest days in town.

To help fix this automatically, since the switch is powered via POE on port 1, can I set up a ping watchdog on port 1 that pings our core router? If it stops seeing the router, will it power cycle port 1 or is that a really bad idea since it will loose power in the middle of the bounce command?

Here is the temp once it came back up:

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 5.49.24 PM.png

cwachs
Experienced Member

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:02 pm

As I sit here and watch the switch status, the PHY temp is climbing. It's up to 117 now. Outside temp at the switch is 95 F but the switch is in the Netonix plastic enclosure on a flat roof about 6" off the roof deck. I think too much radiated heat.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:24 pm

cwachs wrote:As I sit here and watch the switch status, the PHY temp is climbing. It's up to 117 now. Outside temp at the switch is 95 F but the switch is in the Netonix plastic enclosure on a flat roof about 6" off the roof deck. I think too much radiated heat.

The board temp does seem high.

It is possible this unit is getting too hot or it could be this unit does not work at as high of temperature as the rest and there are tolerance differences between units.

It could also be that you are experiencing Flow Control issues with Pause Frames.

First I would disable Flow Control on all ports and see if problem persists.

If problem still persists try swapping the unit out with another unit.

The WS-6-MINI doesn't have a console port so you can not do that.

Sadly there is no magic command to determine the cause, the log is erased on reboot, you could use a syslog server.

If this is an extremely hot environment I would consider adding vents to the box.
You can purchase plastic rainproof vents and add 2 vents, 1 high, and 1 low to allow air flow.

CLICK LINK BELOW FOR IDEAS
https://www.google.com/search?q=nema+bo ... s&tbm=shop

jg0007

Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:17 pm

I am very interested in this post and check for a few days the temperature in which they are working my Netonix both are in the same box

They could have problems this units at this temperature or they would function normal I see that they are higher than they say that they support please confirm
Attachments
mini temp.jpg
temp.jpg

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:12 pm

jg0007 wrote:They could have problems this units at this temperature or they would function normal I see that they are higher than they say that they support please confirm

I am confused, why do you think they are higher than they support?

They support working in a 55C "environment"

The switches do not report environment temp they report "Board", "CPU", and "PHY" temperatures which look fine and will be warmer than 55C.

The CPU and PHY are rated to 125C and the board should be fine up to about 70C +/-

Of course the board, CPU, and PHY temps will be higher than environment temp, that is normal.

If you have a light bulb running in a room that if 55C will the light bulb be warmer than the room temperature? - Of course it will.

Return to General Discussion