Guidance on AF5X NxN LAG Setup

BaldwinCo

Guidance on AF5X NxN LAG Setup

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks in advance for any help on setting up the LAG. The set up will be two AF-5X on each end, one set powered by a 12 port DC switch and the other set powered by a 12 port AC switch. (Note, was going to move to AF11 - but 40 watts was too much for solar/DC end).

It is possible that I will want to turn off one of the AF-5X on the DC switch when/if I get power issues.

I have taken the time to search/read the forums here and at UBNT - but am in not clear on what best practice is for a LAG for wireless. (And, yes, will be running 1.4.7)

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Guidance on AF5X NxN LAG Setup

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:54 pm

You can use the search feature and find many post on LAGs, here are 2:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2622&p=18376&hilit=+LAG+wireless#p18376
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2280&p=16189&hilit=+LAG+wireless#p16189

Static and LACP LAGs are an IEEE standard (LACP being 802.3ad) so you can read about them anywhere on the network.

On the WS-12-250-DC switch you can have it turn ports off (POE) when the battery levels dip to a specified level under the Power Tab but this is dependent on the switch being connected directly to the battery bank and not to a power supply.

I would be running v1.4.8rc6 on the WS-12-250-DC as there was a fix for the SMART DC switches.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

BaldwinCo

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Just implemented a LACP a few minutes ago and so far so good.

I tested a wireless link going down (ports remained active) and all traffic moved to the other wireless link and the LACP was then reestablished with the wireless link came back up. I tested power off with same result.

Not sure what will happen when the wireless links hit capacity, but we will see. Note the AF5X are running 75% duty cycle, one is a 40 MHz channel and the other a 50 MHz channel.

Chris@edgarhighspeed.com

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:02 pm

@BaldwinCo

Can you post a pic of the NXN setup on the netonix you have implemented. I think it would be helpful for me and others. Both sides would be great.

Cheers.

BaldwinCo

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:27 pm

Curious how the data stats are being reported. Note the pie chart shows nice load balancing ... but data report is not balanced. The top two lines are the AF5X with LACP-A.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 7.21.37 PM.png

BaldwinCo

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:32 pm

Edgar,

1) you have to disable in-band management (use management port), 2) you have to create the LACP-A on both ends at the same time, 3) we used Key = 1, left priority at default, but both links must have equal priority, 4) source/destination IP enabled. I meant to turn on RSTP but forgot and seem to be OK.

Return to General Discussion