First DC site - advice required

nat

First DC site - advice required

Tue May 16, 2017 3:54 am

Hi all,

Having built out a couple of locations so far using AC power and refurbished APC UPSs (with new batteries), short battery run time is becoming an issue. I've also read lots of good things about the Netonix DC units and impressed by what I saw in "The Movie" youtube video. The new PoP is a 100ft grain silo, at the top I'd like to place WS-12-250-DC in an enclosure. To the base of the tower we'll run DC power cable, plus 8 x SMF in an SWA jacket. At the base we'll have a larger rackmount enclosure containing a Mikrotik RB3011, 2 x 12v batteries in series, charger and a Raspberry Pi.

Backhaul will be served by an Ubnt Airfibre 5X plus a Ubnt Powerbeam 5AC 300, customers on 3 x Ubnt Litebeam AC AP sectors. Will initially need 5 ethernet connections at the top of the tower, but would like to have more than one spare (thus why picking the WS-12-250-DC over the WS-8-150-DC).

I have read through the datasheets of each component and made a note of the max power consumption:

• Ubnt Airfibre 5X - 12w
  • Ubnt Powerbeam 5AC 300 - 6w
  • Ubnt Litebeam AC AP - 4w
  • Mikrotik RB3011 - 10w
  • Raspberry Pi 3 - 4w
  • Netonix WS-12-250-DC - 8w

Total 52w

I'd like to power the Netonix directly from the battery strings, hopefully I can do the same with the RB3011 too? there will be no copper connection between it and the Netonix so I can't PoE power it. For the Raspberry Pi 3 I'd find a small switch mode PSU that can take upto ~30v and drive the Pi at 5v.

What do folk recommend for a charger? On the Linitx site I see they suggest a Meanwell DRC-100B - I understand that is only 98w, should I look at something bigger like the ADD-155B? I see those chargers regulate the output voltage which isn't required by the WS-12-250-DC, is there a simpler charger I could use? ideally under $100

Looking forward to building my first DC site.

Thanks,

Nat

sakita
Experienced Member

Re: First DC site - advice required

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:11 pm

<EDIT> - Just noticed this was an old post...

We use the 12V version of the Meanwell with the WS 'smart' power supply netonix switch. This allows us to get away with a single battery in a small enclosure. This is by no means the bast or only way to do this.

There are several posts on this site about taking advantage of the smart power supply to just run off of the batteries and use a charger. For example: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2872&p=19828&hilit=charger#p19828

If the Pi was near the Netonix, something like this might be useful: 48V PoE to USB power: https://www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp ... =&Tp=&o1=0.
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.

Return to General Discussion