RSTP basics.

TSHS

RSTP basics.

Wed May 10, 2017 5:39 pm

We have quite a few netonix switches in service and a few we have recently installed at new towers/locations. Just getting to installing redundant/backup links as well. These are flat portions of the network. The two I am hoping to get RSTP up and running is 24/11Ghz backhaul with 5Ghz backups for when rain (very rare here in the desert) drops the links. Netonix (mix) at each tower behind all pops. All radios are on private IPs and nothing involved (directly) is in any way routes (flat).
I have been giving myself a crash coarse (still only a few years in newb) on STP/RSTP etc. I have spent hours reading what I can find here as well.
I am posting in hopes of some very straight forward links/info on using RSTP in our situation. Just need basic redundancy for the 5ghz to kick in during the short rain fade/drops we see. 99% of what I have read/seen is for cisco and/or overloverly complicated in comparison to what we need so muddied the waters for me at least.
We do not need loop protection or RSTP on any ports besides the typical backhaul ports (main and backup) and no vlans or complicated configs are involved. At least in this portion of the network.
Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Hoping to spend the hours and hours testing rather than trying to learn/figure out the basics. Thanks. And please feel free to give me a hard time if this has been blatenly covered and i happened to miss it.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: RSTP basics.

Wed May 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Enable global RSTP but disable it on all port except the 2 backhaul.

Set a higher priority ports connected to the 5 Ghz link (higher = blocked link).
Note that the port status will be blocked on only one switch, not both.
Forget about root switch and cost. You don't care for your scenario.

P.S. : Don't enable STP on radio if the option is available.

TSHS

Fri May 12, 2017 10:29 am

I plan to bench a switch today and test. I believe I tried this simple setup prior and the "backup" port would not drop to discarding it stayed in forwarding mode. The help is much appreciated

mike99
Associate
Associate

Fri May 12, 2017 11:43 am

Don't forget to check both switch, only one switch will block the port, not both.

Return to General Discussion