Q vlan ?

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Q vlan ?

Mon May 01, 2017 2:35 pm

So I want to provide access from point A to point D for a customer. He needs to use his own VLANs, so I guess this is where I can use the Q, instead of T and U, right ?
Connection is like A <-> B <-> C <-> D.

So normally if I want to give access from A to point D without VLAN, I could use VLAN 99 and Untag it at point A and tag it at port connected to B and vice versa for point D. And all ports in between will be tagged.
Is it just to do the exact same and instead of T choose Q, and at point A and point D on customer facing port also use Q instead of U?

SW-A:
VLAN 99 Q Port facing customer
VLAN 99 Q -> SW-B

SW-B:
VLAN 99 Q <- SW-A
VLAN 99 Q -> SW-C

SW-C
VLAN 99 Q <- SW-B
VLAN 99 Q -> SW-D

SW-D
VLAN 99 Q <- SW-C
VLAN 99 Q port facing customer

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: Q vlan ?

Mon May 01, 2017 3:41 pm

You use Q instead of U, not T. Once the VLAN is encasuled in a "Q", it's like a regular VLAN for the switchs since the switch will only look at outer TAG. Q add or remove the outer-VLAN without touching inner vlan.

SW-A:
VLAN 99 Q Port facing customer
VLAN 99 T -> SW-B
SW-B:
VLAN 99 T <- SW-A
VLAN 99 T -> SW-C
SW-C
VLAN 99 T <- SW-B
VLAN 99 T -> SW-D
SW-D
VLAN 99 T <- SW-C
VLAN 99 Q port facing customer

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:01 am

After upgrading from 1.46 to 1.47 firmware I'm having problems with this setup....

The switch port to both customer site A and customer site B has been set to Q on VLAN 101. Link (primary) between site A and site B has been set to T on VLAN 101.
After upgrade normal traffic between EdgeRouters on site A and B (running OSPF) has stopped. It's not working anymore, so I have lost contact to site B switch and router (I can ssh to router on link IP-address, both no OSPF traffic is passing, so no routes to site B.

What to do ?

Netværk Aalborg.png

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:02 am

Link between customer site 1 and customer site 2 is still working....

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:18 am

Jens,

Of course you know you should have built a test network in your LAB to experiment with something "new" on your network instead of implementing it live on your network but I am sure you have already thought of this in hindsight. I know this is not help and I am just stating the obvious. THey do not call me captain obvious for nothing.

I read your post and looked at Mike99's answer on QinQ how the switch uses the Q which is correct

I made a post on the effect of Q here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2589&p=18225&hilit=QinQ#p18225

It is hard to see this all in my mind with the info provided.

802.1ad or QinQ is not my strong point to begin with, I mean I know the basics and have setup little test networks in a LAB but never implemented it in the field. When my customers wanted a tunnel between locations we used a vpn with gre tunnels.

Is this part of your WISP network providing access between customer sites or a private network between 2 of their buildings?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:21 pm

Several change have been made on QinQ between 1.46 and 1.47
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2745

OSPF hello paquet seem to be block. I would try OSPF in broadcast mode if in multicast mode or vice versa. Also try point-to-point mode if not specified.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:22 am

Strange enough this issue got solved after rebooting both switches several times.
I don't understand, what the error is, but probably something in the EdgeRouters messed it all up. Eventhough not a single configuration change was made. Only change was the firmware upgrade...

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:28 am

sirhc wrote:When my customers wanted a tunnel between locations we used a vpn with gre tunnels.

Is this part of your WISP network providing access between customer sites or a private network between 2 of their buildings?

We sell these services to customers. Initially I setup a testlab at home with VPLS on EdgeRouters. It was working great at home and VPLS was my preferred choice to set this up.
Unfortunately it did not work when setup on my network. It was the EdgeRouters having difficulties with it. I'm not the only one I can see from posts on the UBNT forum.
So suddenly I was in a big hurry, as customer was promised connection.
Yes, we sell (if we can) diffent kind of services to customers. This customer needed a 100/100 Mbit/s site to site connection between 2 buildings situated in different geographical locations. Also they needed to pass VLANs over the connection.
Again VPLS was my preferred choice, but it's not mature on EdgeRouters yet, unfortunately....

QinQ is doing a fine job at the moment. Customer is very happy with the connection. 3/4 the monthly price of slower fiber connection.

Return to General Discussion