Bulk vlan... ssh?

vnce

Bulk vlan... ssh?

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:38 pm

I am curious in the ability to add a bulk number of vlans easily through either the web interface, i.e. add vlan 1006-1133,, or possible through ssh? I will be honest I dont have a linux background and am learning this as i go so it might be there.. the Issue Im having is when I have to load over 70 vlans into the switch it slows down the interface significantly,, when I get close to 100 vlans it takes 2 seconds per vlan to add. at this point im just adding the info and not tagging them yet, I have even given up on adding a description because if i type more then 3 letters it goes all wonky until it catches up. I have some switches I have over 300 vlans in and to be honest it takes over an hour just to add them.. I have to be doing some thing inefficiently........ there must be a better way..

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Bulk vlan... ssh?

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:00 pm

You want to use the Trunk Port/Allowed VLANs option.

The default is all VLAN ID's (1-4095) which really should not be used, always define the allowed VLANs, be as specific as possible for security reasons and to properly segregate traffic.

You can then add a list of VLANs you want that matrix entry to allow such as "100-200,212,919,900-1200"
Notice you can give a range of IDs or a single ID delineated by commas.

Do not forget you need the same list on ingress and egress ports

And you can do everything in the CLI that you do in the UI just use the inline CLI help feature, spend some time getting to know your switch UI/CLI in the lab in your spare time.

CLICK IMAGE BELOW TO VIEW FULL SIZE
allowed VLAN ID's.png
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

vnce

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:50 pm

so by doing it this way does it not list out the current vlans? sometimes I have to move vlans from one port to another. I just want to be sure im not screwing it up.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:24 pm

vnce wrote:so by doing it this way does it not list out the current vlans? sometimes I have to move vlans from one port to another. I just want to be sure im not screwing it up.

I am not sure I follow you, you have to give an example.

Or play with one in your LAB to determine it behaves the way you it to.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion