Deploying in Turbine house "Hot-zone"

bigal488

Deploying in Turbine house "Hot-zone"

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:31 pm

So, we've been asked to set up a wireless link for a small hydroelectric scheme so that they can monitor the turbines etc. remotely. The turbine house itself is completely surrounded by trees but w've found a site 100 metres away on the lake shore that has a clear LOS to one of our masts. The plan was to set up a pole mount a WS-10-250-AC in a box and a Powerbeam AC and then run underground fibre-optic and 240v mains cables 100m back to the turbine house.
...then I saw the schematic from the electrical engineers. It shows a 1150V "Hot-zone" extending about 300m out from the turbine house. They've suggested that any telecoms cables running through this need to be "protected" (they didn't say how!). I am assuming that this hot-zone has the potential to destroy the Netonix and powerbeam.
Anyone have any experience of deploying wisp hardware near hydro-turbines?

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: Deploying in Turbine house "Hot-zone"

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:54 pm

I assume they are referring to copper cable needing standard entrance protection in the form of surge protectors and external shielding. Fiber optic cable should not have any metallic components requiring any special protection.

Return to General Discussion