DC power - volume of SMTP alerts

michaeln416

DC power - volume of SMTP alerts

Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:45 pm

I would love to see an option to limit the number of identical email alerts to a fixed number within a specified time frame.

I LOVE everything about my WS-12-250-DC's & WS-8-150-DC's including the options to monitor and shut down ports based on battery voltage. I also really appreciate the SMTP email alert options and being able to receive alert notifications on my mobile device without having to be logged into the console. I can't tell you how much this has improved the quality of my life, especially during after hours and weekends.

One area that I would like to see an improvement is having the ability to minimize the volume of alerts that I get for the same thing within a specified time frame. There are situations when the battery voltage hovers just around the alert value, bouncing slightly below it then back up above it many times, tripping email alert after email alert. For example on a partly cloudy day at a solar powered site.

Yes, I know that I can lower the alert volume by lowering the voltage at which the alerts get triggered. I have been doing that with some success; however, the lower that alert trigger value is set at the less reaction time I have to respond. Even then, when the situation holds the voltage near that lower trigger value the number of alerts is still excessive.

Yesterday I received 93 Low Voltage warnings by email from one solar site due to a combination of the battery and weather conditions. Getting only one of those alerts every 90-120 minutes would have sufficed for my needs at that site.
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-04-22 at 12.29.10 PM.png

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: DC power - volume of SMTP alerts

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:03 pm

I appreciate the feedback and we will discuss this issue internally and see what can be done.

Could you please post up a screen grab of your Power and Device/Status TABs for me.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

OrbitalChris

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Good Afternoon,

Is there any update on this? I am in the same problem as michaeln416. If there was a option to change how often it notifies us. Once or twice a hour instead of every 4 minutes would be much better for us.

Kind Regards,

Chris Humphreys
2nd Line Technical Support Engineer
vFast / Orbital Net

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:46 pm

I think v1.5.0 did some and v1.5.1rc7 limits some more email alert spams.

Try v1.5.1rc7

Once could always disable email alerts and use SNMP software to monitor the switch where you have more granular control of email alerts.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion