2 WS-6-MINI on 24vdc via barrel?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: 2 WS-6-MINI on 24vdc via barrel?

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:42 am

Also the 100 watt limit Julian is talking about is the POE controller chip's rated limit which is used when powering the switch via POE IN on port 1.

I have to check with the engineer but I do not think that is involved when powering the switch via the barrel connector so now the true POE capacity of the switch would come down to the trace and component ratings on the PCB which is probably MUCH higher than 100 watts.

But I "think" we only did thermal testing to 100 watts using POE IN on Port 1 assuming most people would use the switch in this manner/configuration.

Julian also has access to the schematics to see if current is in anyway flowing through the POE controller chip when the switch is powered via the barrel connector and not POE IN on port 1. If I am correct that this is the case then the switch "could" deliver more than 100 watts POE but I am not sure we ever explored that upper limit/capacity nor did we do thermal testing to find that upper limit.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:21 pm

I think Chris just "wallpapered" me. LOL

I do know my Ohm's Law basics so much of that was preaching to the choir.

The following page says 2A using the barrel connector.
https://www.netonix.com/wisp-switch/ws-6-mini.html

agidi

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:36 pm

Wow, i appreciate all the information, the excess of information and the detailed information.

Now i fully understand (i hope ) the netonix switch , lost the fear of how to power this thing up, and also learned ( from the extra info) how much each radio really needs, based on the examples. I was worried I was underpowering stuff. Since the R6 is underpowered if you load it up full and power it from a POE.

Im going to work on the schematics and share the drawing , just to double check with you gurus.

I really really appreciate all the chiming in. Got to love this kind of support.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:39 pm

lligetfa wrote:I think Chris just "wallpapered" me. LOL

I do know my Ohm's Law basics so much of that was preaching to the choir.

The following page says 2A using the barrel connector.
https://www.netonix.com/wisp-switch/ws-6-mini.html

Yea I have that limit on the web store as I said I do not think any testing in any configuration was preformed above 100 watts but also it does not hurt either way if the barrel adapter has 100 Amps behind it, it only matter how many watts you are pushing through the switch.

So many people (not you Les) think that if you provide more amps than a device requests you can damage it and this is simply not the case. This is why I provided the analogies of the light bulb on the battery or the lamp in a bedroom.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Lots of folks will try to add up the per port current max numbers based on what the poly fuse is rated at and then expect the switch to pass that total. Some will take the wattage rating of the power supply alone as gospel to live by. Case in point, there are many anecdotal reports of the Ubiquiti TS8-Pro not being able to power a full complement of 24V kit due to an internal limitation.

agidi

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:57 pm

all the detailed information provided in this post alone about the per port ratings and amp usage, is super valuable. Some work with makeshift battery backups, and this will help me a lot to fine tune my loads and equipment.

really tons of thanks for the details.

Julian

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:27 am

schematic review and engineering consult confirms that the 6-mini is internally insensitive to the method by which it is powered-- the board is a little beefier on the barrel adapter end, but the 100w total rating applies while powered by either method. NEVER POWER WITH BOTH AT SAME TIME.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:22 am

Julian wrote:NEVER POWER WITH BOTH AT SAME TIME.

I wanted to do that once but Dave said NO and gave no explanation as to why not.

I have a MINI on a 300 foot run PoE fed but in Winter when the heaters kick in on the cams, the current would spike and the resultant voltage drop would spam the event log. In the Winter, I run a power cord across the lawn under the snow so I have seasonal power to the building but being on GFI is prone to getting tripped. I wanted the PoE for its reliability but also the DC barrel for the high current demand. Eric adjusted the low voltage warning threshold making it moot.

Previous
Return to General Discussion