LAG microwaves

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

LAG microwaves

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:13 am

So I just had a bomb dropped on me by Ubiquiti.

I was planning to install two 11x microwaves and bond them using OSPF.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles ... supported-

Apparently using ECMP on the EdgeRouter is now a very very dangerous thing, consider if you have slightly higher latency on one route than another you'll have out of order packets and all manner of confusion.

Has anyone successfully bonded two microwave links using LACP using the Netonix switches? They are the same microwave, using the same dishes. My concern is I've heard if one starts going wonky LACP will totally get confused, but maybe OSPF would as well.

Regardless, it sounds like using OSPF to equal cost load balance to two eBGP providers will result in very very unexpected results with this setup. Thoughts?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: LAG microwaves

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:02 pm

I am not a big fan of using LACP with wireless links but if the links are identical in capacity (or very close) and rock solid links you can do it.

Keep in mind LACP does not take two 1G links and give you a 2G link it load balances the traffic on the 2 links based on the criteria you tell it to use such as source destination.

LACP will keep each independent stream on 1 or the other link so there is no risk of out of order packets.

I feel if you set it up right you would be OK.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:19 pm

Yup. That's what I want to do. And apparently ospf in edgerouter no longer does that :/

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Something like this is what I would do
Matt.png
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

CuninganReset

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:12 pm

Hello.
I have always a question with this, the radio must be really transparent for the switch? For example like AirFiber with one port for data and the other for management.
Or can be any Rocket or other that has management and data on same wire?
I think that the link between the two switches must be really transparent like two wires.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:30 pm

CuninganReset wrote:Hello.
I have always a question with this, the radio must be really transparent for the switch? For example like AirFiber with one port for data and the other for management.
Or can be any Rocket or other that has management and data on same wire?
I think that the link between the two switches must be really transparent like two wires.

Yes it must be a true bridge LACP, a Static LAG is not as picky but can not deal with one link dropping out like LACP can.

I always suggest people play in a lab first not production.

Return to General Discussion