VLAN's

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: VLAN's

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Now everything you need to setup VLANs in our UI is in the posts above.

All this information was readily available in many other posts already if you searched for them in our Forums.

Such as these posts I just found with a "simple" search:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2589&p=18225&hilit=+ingress+egress+id+tagged#p18225
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1837&p=14332&hilit=+ingress+egress+id+tagged#p14332
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1896&p=14079&hilit=+ingress+egress+id+tagged#p14079
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1467&p=11549&hilit=+ingress+egress+id+tagged#p11549
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=283&p=1128&hilit=+ingress+egress+id+tagged#p1128

I could list even more posts that all cover everything above but I think you get the point?

We handle VLANs the exact same way as any other switch as it is an IEEE standard that all switches must follow to be interoperable. In fact the actual handing and implementing of the VLANs is handled in the switch core which we do not write or even have control of. All we do is write an interface to allow the user to configure it.

If you can not get it to work the way you want then do as I first suggested:
Post up your VLAN Tab
Post up a network diagram
Explain what is not working the way you think it should and we or I will comment on it.

The only questions I hate and act like an "asshat" as you put it are questions people can answer on their own. I am not a reference material on network topology I am here to support our switch, handle bugs and explain features that are not industry standards. But over the years I have spend thousands of hours answering questions well beyond my scope of duties and I only get upset when people do not first try to find those post or do their own homework. Everyone says they do searches and can not find anything but somehow I am able to find those posts? Spend a little time playing with the Advanced Search Feature and learn to use it efficiently and it will become an invaluable tool.

Thousands of people use our switches and if I had to do all their searching and reading for them then I would never be able to address issues such as possible bugs, new features, new products and so on.

But I have invested over 2 hours of my time today compiling information that was readily available to you via the Search Feature and Google, I really do hope I answered your questions but if not then please provide a more specific question with pictures that make it easy for me to wrap my mind around your network and what you are trying to do.

So if in the end you want to consider me an "asshat" then I guess I can live with it.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

JohnJaeger

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi there Sirhc.

I just need one question answered if possible. I have HP-2510G switches in my backbone. In those HP's they have a separate entry for the Maint. VLan with a number (in my case 20) for the VLan and an IP for the switch. I Program those switches with ID 20 tagged on all ports to flow the Maint. VLan through the system. I leave one port untagged (Typically #24) untagged for a on-site technician to plug a laptop in with the proper VLan IP. From there he can access any piece of equipment on the Maint. VLan in the system. In this switch, I have set the first VLan ID to 20 and added the next VLan to ID 1 (default) and untagged all ports except port 12 set to exclude. I untagged port 12 on ID 20. I do need the Default VLan for normal switch operation with other Non-VLan networks.

I am replacing a few of the HP's with the Netonix DC models at some Solar Sites.

This seems to be doing mostly what I want. The only issue that I have is a question over, is that on the HP switches, you cannot send an untagged packet into any port on the maint. VLan network except the one that is untagged (Port 24) and access the switch. In this switch, I can. Any port, even thought it is tagged for ID 20, will access the switch without a tag. On all our Ubiquiti radios in the backbone have a separate box to check for a maintenance VLan and an ID, just like the HP switches. Have I missed something, or am I stuck with the "any port issue"? It will work, but I was hoping it would get VLan ID 1 away from the internal address of the switch.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :wink:

John

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Please post a screen grab of your VLAN TAB.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

JohnJaeger

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:16 am

Okay, here ya go.

Thanks.
Attachments
VLan Tab1.jpg

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon May 08, 2017 11:19 am

In your config above the switch UI/CLI/SNMP/SMTP or any other communication to and from the switch "itself" (not packets simply traversing it via other VLAN definitions) would be with a packet with the VLAN ID TAG of 20 except port 12 which is for local Tech to plug in and access the switch without a VLAN ID set on his laptop interface.

VLAN ID 1 is all U's except Port 12 which is excluded so your Tech plugging in on Port 12 could NOT see any of the other equipment at the site.

With this configuration ports 1-11 and 13-14 would only accept Untagged packets or packets with the VLAN ID of 20 all others would be dropped

Any Tagged packets with ID VLAN ID 20 received on ports 1-11 and 13-14 could only exit another port with VLAN ID 20 except port 12 which it would leave as an untagged packet

Any Un-Tagged packets (the VLAN ID 1 is not really used as all U on all ports for this VLAN definition) received on ports 1-11 and 13-14 could only exit another port (1-11 and 13-14) as an Un-Tagged packet and are excluded from leaving port 12

JohnJaeger

Mon May 08, 2017 2:30 pm

sirhc wrote:In your config above the switch UI/CLI/SNMP/SMTP or any other communication to and from the switch "itself" (not packets simply traversing it via other VLAN definitions) would be with a packet with the VLAN ID TAG of 20 except port 12 which is for local Tech to plug in and access the switch without a VLAN ID set on his laptop interface.

Hi Sirhc.

Thank you. That first paragraph is what I needed to know. :wink: I appreciate the answer.

PeakWiFi

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:18 pm

I need help setting up a separate vlan on ports 1 and 2 to allow for a bridge for a customer. The equipment for this bridge is on vlan 200. Our normal backhaul and distribution radio management is on vlan 100 which works well. This bridge does not need to communicate out the main backhaul which will be on port 3.

I need the techs to be able to plug into the Netonix on port 14 and manage both the normal equipment on vlan 100 and the bridge equipment on vlan 200 yet keep ports 1-2 and 3-13 apart.
Image1.jpg

I added the vlans for ports 1 and 2 yet when I am plugged into the 14th port I am unable to communicate with the radios on vlan 200 in ports 1 and 2. If I set port 14 to U for vlan 200 then I can talk to the radios but I lose communication with the switch.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Tom

[img]c:\temp\image1.jpg[/img][img]c:/temp/image1.jpg[/img]

awewin

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Hi, I only need set vlan 50 to management the netonix switch, who I do the configuration?

jg0007

Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:05 pm

I have some problems with the VLANs of Port 1 and Port 13

Currently port 1 is configured as Backus, if the Ping is sent to the server, the POE of port 1 is activated, of course, if port 13 does not have communication

The scenario is the following Mikrotik VLAN ----- EdgeSwitch --- Netonix

The problem that happens is that you lose connection and you must remove the trunk port in the netonix and activate it again and everything returns to normal

Any idea what may be happening here
Attachments
netonix 2.jpg
Netonix1.jpg

Previous
Return to General Discussion