set management VLAN

drsmooth

set management VLAN

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:16 pm

Is it possible to associate the management IP address with a user-created VLAN (for example vlan 100)? That would free me from having to leave vlan 1 untagged on an interface. Thanks

-Chris

Julian

Re: set management VLAN

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:32 pm

this seems to work, with my NIC set to VLAN 5 IP is available only on port 1, with it set to VLAN 200, it's only accessible on port 2.

Is this what you're trying to achieve?
Attachments
vlans.png

drsmooth

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:37 pm

not exactly. I want the IP address to respond only on one vlan, not all of them ;)

Julian

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Give that configuration a try, it won't respond on any other vlan ID than 5 ;)

drsmooth

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:46 pm

ah i see. I found that answer, which is the same as yours, at 19:53 on the MOVIE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JvBEAD4MFM. Interesting and i wouldn't have figured it out on my own. thanks!

for posterity: the very first vlan in the list on the VLAN tab is the management VLAN. It can be changed from VLAN 1 to whatever you like, but the first row in the list cannot be removed.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:02 pm

drsmooth wrote:ah i see. I found that answer, which is the same as yours, at 19:53 on the MOVIE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JvBEAD4MFM. Interesting and i wouldn't have figured it out on my own. thanks!

for posterity: the very first vlan in the list on the VLAN tab is the management VLAN. It can be changed from VLAN 1 to whatever you like, but the first row in the list cannot be removed.

Correct, the FIRST VLAN, the one you can not remove but can reassign the ID, is ALWAYS the management VLAD and the only VLAN the switch will respond to.

I did an Advanced Search and I get this list of Posts:
Keywords: "+VLAN +MANAGEMENT"
Author: "sirhc"

search.php?keywords=%2Bmanagement+%2Bvlan&terms=all&author=sirhc&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Would not take you long to find your answer in one of those post. :ak:
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

drsmooth

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:55 pm

I did search the fora but i didn't think to filter for your replies. That's a good tip.

Return to General Discussion