Important information about Netonix

jg0007

Important information about Netonix

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Hello I have a doubt since these data are not in the datasheet megustaria know the maximum capacity of PPS of each model of netonix in particular of this WS-12-250-AC

Could someone clarify these points please so to know which models would be more convenient to choose from netonix

On the WS-12-250-AC

(12) Gigabit RJ45 Ports

(2) SFP Ports

Non-Blocking Throughput: 14 Gbps

Switching Capacity: Do not know is not in the datasheet?

Forwarding Rate: Do not know is not in the data sheet?

MAC Address Table do not know is not in the data sheet?

Maximum Aggregations we do not know is not in the data sheet?

Maximum VLANs do not know is not in the datasheet?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Important information about Netonix

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:52 pm

All of our switches use the same switch core: VSC-742X so our smallest WS-6-MINI is the same as our WS-24-400A as far as capability and performance which would explain why you use the same firmware on all models.

Technically we use the VSC-7424, VSC-7425, and VSC-7427 but they are really all the same chip.

Here is the chip spec sheet:
https://ethernet.microsemi.com/download ... er=vsc7427
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jg0007

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi Sir, thank you for responding so quickly

You could tell me these values in Netonix since in the data sheet of the chip I could not find it like this would be more secure

-----

Switching Capacity: Do not know is not in the datasheet?

Forwarding Rate: Do not know is not in the data sheet?

MAC Address Table do not know is not in the data sheet?

Maximum Aggregations we do not know is not in the data sheet?

Maximum VLANs do not know is not in the datasheet?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:31 pm

• Non-Blocking Throughput Switching Performance - which is in the spec sheet
This pretty much answers all your questions regarding Switching Capacity, Maximum Aggregations, and Forwarding Rate.

hmm, I guess when I redo the spec sheet again to include the new models coming out later this month I will put some more info in.

4095 user definable VLANs

4096 MAC addresses may be held in memory at any given time

But in my defense this isformation is all over the forums:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=185&p=16079&hilit=Broadcom#p474
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2036&p=15078&hilit=+mac+addresses#p15078
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=397&p=2238&hilit=BCM#p2238
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jg0007

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:40 pm

OK excelent

I would like to see if it is possible some information of the new models I need 2 units more maybe they are better to opt for the new models

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:12 pm

jg0007

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:04 am

Hi sirhc I have a confusion about the speed of EJ Port if a port is 1GB as this speed is distributed 512 MB of download and 512 MB of upload or the switch distributes 1 GB in both directions could clarify that doubt

Since even friend had installed a WS-12-250-DC and when a port reached the capacity of 400MB in one direction the ping goes up could clarify that point

How is this handled?

Julian

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:30 am

there are some great articles out there on the internet at large about gigabit ethernet speeds and why they might not reach a true gigabit full duplex.

our switch core supports non-blocking full-duplex operation at 10/100/1000, meaning 1 Gb in each direction; if you hook the switch up to a traffic generator, frame overhead means you'll get ~8-900Mb each direction. Your friend must have another limiting factor in his network.

Most computers with a PCI express 2.0 NIC will only see around 4-500mb, since that's the maximum amount of data the NIC can actually transfer via PCIe.

Hope this helps!

jg0007

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:35 pm

OK but how can I have 14 in one unit (WS-12-250-DC) connected devices passing 900 MB of download and 900 MB of upload and the swhicht will work with that traffic?

Please clarify this point as it is not clear

Julian

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:52 am

I have a little bit of trouble understanding your post - I'm guessing there is some loss in translation, as is usual.

the switch will pass 1 gigabit of traffic in both directions, or 1Gbps full duplex, in shorter terms.

1Gbps = 125 MB/s. Frame overhead means there is a certain amount of data passed that is not actually the 'payload' of the IP packet, so the 125MB/s (or 1Gbps) is an ideal maximum, in reality you should see 112.5 to 120 MB/s.

note the capital B versus the lower case b. There is a difference between a gigabit and a gigabyte - 1 bit is one unit of binary data, 1 byte is 8 units of binary data.

in order to download and upload 900MB/sec, you need a 10Gbps full duplex connection - This is not something available on the WS line - The WS2 line will offer that functionality later this year.

hopefully this is a bit more clear - please clarify that I did indeed answer your question, Thanks.

Next
Return to General Discussion