VLan, Trunking question - help please.

joewifi

VLan, Trunking question - help please.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:02 pm

We are adding to a business using 3 netonix switches,that already has a sonicewall, and a dell switch. The netonix switches will be powering ubiquiti AP's.
We have a very simple vlan configuration on the sonicwall and dell switch. Vlan 1 = employees, vlan2 = guests.

When I click a check box on to enable Trunk Port
/
Allowed VLANs for a port (eg port 23), it auto populates a "T" in in the vlan2 row, but the vlan1 row is auto-set to "U". If I want, I can toggle vlan1 to "T", but my question is why isn't that happening automatically? Shouldn't both be T for tagged?

Thanks!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: VLan, Trunking question - help please.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:21 pm

1st I would upgrade to 1.4.7rc10 as there was a recent fix for VLANs - see release notes

You could do this several ways.

1) Leave VLAN 1 alone with all U's then check Truck on all ports or more accurately enabling VLAN access lists on all ports and I would then define the list with "1-2" since you have no other VLAN IDs

2) You could change VLAN 1 to all Ts and check Truck and modify access list to be "2" as then you now have defined 1 and 2 as allowed VLANs. 1 is defined in the Matrix and 2 is in the Allowed VLAN List.

BUT IF YOU DO THIS THEN YOU WOULD NO LONGER BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE SWITCH UI/CLI BY PLUGGING DIRECTLY IN WITHOUT MAKING DEFINING VLAN ID ON YOUR COMPUTER NIC.

There are many ways to achieve this but keep in mind the default VALN (the one on top) is the only VLAN the switch UI/CLI will respond to.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion