Can I power this?

joewifi

Can I power this?

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 pm

Is the WS-24-400A designed to work with the new ubiquiti uap-ac-m-pro? From what I can tell the uap-ac-m-pro is not passive poe. Here are a few key lines from it's spec sheet (http://dl-origin.ubnt.com/datasheets/un ... esh_DS.pdf) :

Power Method 802.3af PoE (Supported Voltage Range: 44 to 57VDC)
Power Supply 48V, 0.5A PoE Gigabit Adapter
Maximum Power Consumption 9W

I am guessing this won't work because it's not passive poe?

Thanks

(oh, if the answer is yes it can be used. then follow up question: How risky is this? and Why does this work?)

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: Can I power this?

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:22 am

Let me mark up your quote to add clarity. It can be powered one of two ways.
joewifi wrote:1. Power Method 802.3af PoE (Supported Voltage Range: 44 to 57VDC)
2. Power Supply 48V, 0.5A PoE Gigabit Adapter

Option #2 is identical to what the WS does. There is no risk.

jakematic
Experienced Member

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:50 am

lligetfa wrote:Option #2 is identical to what the WS does. There is no risk.

Would it be safe to say that as long as you know a devices required voltage, and it doesn't exceed the amperage capabilities, the switch will power it if set correctly ?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:03 am

1) Determine our switch POE option's voltage and polarity PIN out is the same as the device in question expects
2) Verify the watts required does not exceed the switches POE option's ability to provide

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1178

Question: Can I power this device with Netonix.

Answer:
Our switches are "passive" POE which means if POE is enabled on a port the power is live so if you plug in a cable that is shorted or the piece of equipment is bad or has an incompatible polarity PIN OUT you will damage the port in the switch and probably the equipment, this damage is not covered under warranty.

There are 4 Pairs and 8 PINs in an Ethernet Cable:
Pair 1: White Orange.(PIN 1 ) & Orange.(PIN 2) is POSITIVE
Pair 2: White Green...(PIN 3) & Green...(PIN 6) is NEGATIVE
Pair 3: White Blue.....(PIN 4) & Blue.....(PIN 5) is POSITIVE
Pair 4: White Brown..(PIN 7) & Brown...(PIN 8) is NEGATIVE

24V POE Option @ .75A - constant draw can surge/spike to 1A:
802.3af/at MODE B
Pair 3 / PINs 4, 5 are POSITIVE
Pair 2 & 4 / PINs 3, 6, 7, 8 are NEGATIVE

48V POE Option @.75A - constant draw can surge/spike to 1A:
802.3af/at MODE B
You would use this option to power most 802.3af/at devices like IP Phones and Cameras
Pair 3 / PINs 4, 5 are POSITIVE

24VH POE Option @1.5A - constant draw can surge/spike to 2A:
802.3af/at MODE A & MODE B combined
Pair 1 & 3 / PINs 1, 2, 4, 5 are POSITIVE

48VH POE Option @1.5A - constant draw can surge/spike to 2A:
802.3af/at MODE A & MODE B combined
Pair 1 & 3 / PINs 1, 2, 4, 5 are POSITIVE

So now that you know what the PIN OUT is (which is in our Spec Sheet on page 17 and in the product description on our web store) all you need to do is look at the spec sheet from your device and see which POE option you can use.

If they do not specify the PIN OUT polarity break out a multi-meter and but one end off of a patch cable and strip the wires and figure it out on your own.

Also if they have a bridge rectifier circuit like MIMOSA the device will swap the polarity the way it wants it.

WARNING - If your equipment is not specifically designed to accept power on all 4 Pairs do NOT use a VH POE option.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

joewifi

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:14 pm

lligetfa wrote:Let me mark up your quote to add clarity. It can be powered one of two ways.
joewifi wrote:1. Power Method 802.3af PoE (Supported Voltage Range: 44 to 57VDC)
2. Power Supply 48V, 0.5A PoE Gigabit Adapter

Option #2 is identical to what the WS does. There is no risk.

I took those specifications on the mesh ac pro as being just 1, not 2 different powering methods. The NON-pro model has two options, but the pro option has just one:

uap-ac-m-PRO: 802.3af PoE (Supported Voltage Range: 44 to 57VDC) 48V, 0.5A PoE Gigabit Adapter* 9W

uap-ac-m (NOT pro) : 24V Passive PoE (Pairs 4, 5+; 7, 8 Return); 802.3af Alternative A (Pairs 1, 2+; 3, 6 Return) (Supported Voltage Range: 44 to 57VDC) 8.5W 24V, 0.5A Gigabit PoE Adapter

Although it does says this about the pro:
"Multiple Power Options You can power the UniFi AC Mesh Pro AP with an 802.3af compatible switch, UniFi PoE Switch, or the included Gigabit PoE adapter*."

I can figure out what the pin configuration is on the pro.

I don't know even if I would uses 48v or 48vh.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:33 pm

Examples of devices that would use 48VH:
Ubiquiti airFIBER 24
Ubiquiti airFIBER 5
MIMOSA B5 ad B5C
Netonix WS-6-MINI

NEVER USE A VH POE OPTION UNLESS YOU KNOW IT NEEDS A LOT OF POWER AND CAN DEAL WITH POWER ON ALL 4 PAIR.

This devices uses very little power so logic tells you VH is over kill and could damage the unit.

Since the device can be powered by 802.3af/at active POE you know that 48VH would be unneeded and could damage the device.

Also any UBNT device that supports factory default with a POE brick button will fry when exposed to a VH POE option.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

joewifi

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks, that makes sense. I am quite cautious about these things, as you can tell.

I won't use vh.

Ubiquiti tech support confirmed that 48v passive will work with this newer ac-mesh-pro. They said their data sheet might need to be made more clear since they don't specifically say passive poe power is supported as well... even though it is.

Return to General Discussion