WS-12-250-DC Max temps

kodotech

WS-12-250-DC Max temps

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi Guys,

I have had a look on the forums for switch maximum temperatures but cant seem to find much its all about colder temps! The manual says 55 deg is maximum operating temperature i am just looking to see if anyone has had these higher and if so what damage does it do, also if the fan fails what is the supported temp range? We have had days lately where the temp has gotten to 46deg and in a cupboard with ventilation it is still over 55. It seems quite low for a switch but is it a conservative number or a real number?

Cheers!

Sam

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: WS-12-250-DC Max temps

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:21 pm

kodotech wrote:55C seems quite low for a switch but is it a conservative number or a real number?

You think 55C or 131F is a "low" operating environment for a switch? :crazy:

If the fan fails then you NEED to replace it, it is not designed to operate without a fan.

If you have alerts setup it will tell if the fan fails.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

kodotech

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Will monitor the fan or sure. Looking at the MIB - i assume 55deg is ambient, is there one of the snmp temps which is most closely linked or shall we monitor our enclosure temp?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:49 pm

55C is the environment temp limit.

Board temp is most tied to fan but CPU and PHY will also affect fan.

CPU and PHY are rated to run at 125C chip temp.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:22 am

kodotech wrote:Looking at the MIB - i assume 55deg is ambient...

No. There is no sensor for ambient so I assume you are looking at board temp which would be hotter than ambient. There is no direct offset between board temp and ambient but my readings see between 15 and 20 degrees higher board temps over ambient on a lightly loaded WS-24-400A (AC).

Julian

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:12 am

I've had a customer immobilize his fan with a zip tie (not really sure why anyone would do that, but.. not my install). The symptom they reported was that the switch crashed several hours after he noticed CPU and phy temps at approximately 100C and board temps at 75C, on a fairly heavily loaded 24-400.

I know it's anecdotal, but the point is, board temps at 55c isn't really a problem as long as the fan is active.

You may also be getting an inaccurate reading.. the temperature sensor is on-die on the SOC, and Vitesse(the manufacturer) tells us that it has a +/- swing of 20% and isn't externally calibratable.

Return to General Discussion