Problem with WS-8-150-DC 

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Problem with WS-8-150-DC 

Fri May 05, 2017 11:03 am

michaeln416 wrote:I have a WS-8-150-DC and run it at 24v directly from batteries which are solar charged. I'd like to know what the Hibernate and Wake-Up voltages are set to? I'm not able to configure or even see these values in the Power Tab like I can with my WS-12-250-DC units.

I have my Warning Voltage set to 22.5 volts, but I have no idea when it cuts out and when it comes back on.

1) Upgrade your firmware.

2) http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php? ... ive#p18815
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

michaeln416

Sat May 06, 2017 8:13 am

It's running the latest firmware 1.4.6

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat May 06, 2017 8:23 am

michaeln416 wrote:It's running the latest firmware 1.4.6

No, the latest firmware is v1.4.7rc22 - please try this version

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2675&p=18663&hilit=+firmware+bugs#p18663

We do firmware differently than most companies.

If we finalized v1.4.7 tomorrow then the very next day if a bug was found we would release v1.4.8rc1

So the major difference between v1.4.6 and v1.4.7rc22 is that v1.4.7rc22 has all the reported bugs found and fixed since v1.4.6 was released along with security patches.

We do have release notes where you download:
- Fixed/Force powerdown/powerup limits on WS-8-150-DC to help prevent switch lock up when draining battery to 9V - RC8
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

michaeln416

Sat May 06, 2017 9:02 am

I'll try it once it comes out of beta; this device is in production.

In the meantime, I'll simply turn off the warning voltage as a workaround.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat May 06, 2017 9:53 am

michaeln416 wrote:I'll try it once it comes out of beta; this device is in production.

In the meantime, I'll simply turn off the warning voltage as a workaround.

Did you NOT read what I said above?
We do firmware differently than most companies.
If we finalized v1.4.7 tomorrow then the very next day if a bug was found we would release v1.4.8rc1
So the major difference between v1.4.6 and v1.4.7rc22 is that v1.4.7rc22 has all the reported bugs found and fixed since v1.4.6 was released along with security patches.

It is NOT BETA it is simply all the bugs reported since v1.4.6 was released FIXED so why would you want to run a firmware that has MANY BUGS in it?

Besides that there is a DANGER for people running v1.4.6 on WS-8-150-DC units:
- Fixed/Force powerdown/powerup limits on WS-8-150-DC to help prevent switch lock up when draining battery to 9V - RC8

michaeln416

Sat May 06, 2017 10:16 am

Thank you for clarifying that. With other equipment suppliers, I tend to shy away from beta and release candidate firmware and opt to wait for the stable (bug fix) version. I misinterpreted the .rcX in your file name as a release candidate.

I'll be upgrading to that version this weekend.

Thank you for the prompt replies! I am appreciating your support as well as your outstanding devices.

beeman

Sat May 27, 2017 10:38 am

I've got the Netonix DC on a bench now -and been trying to figure out how to test when its Hibernation kicked in. With me the 'hibernation' started at a much higher voltage, say 11v'ish rather than the 9.5v down 10.5v up it was set for. I can also test using 2 batteries for 24v testing -which you guys have advised is a better option. To provide a load I have it powering an old NanoM5 and a Rocket M5. All fine and Dandy. I added a R5AC- lite and it won't power it. I swapped it round the the ports (powering down each time) and whilst the powered ones will drive the older Ubiquiti kit they won't drive the AC-lite Rocket. Yes I tried it on 24v/two batteries, still no. Yes I have checked it on a powerbrick and it works fine (link only 100 not 1000 but that may be my lead/powerbrick). I apologize if this has been raised elsewhere because I have 'chasing the volts' on this particular Netonix-DC in and out when I have free time.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat May 27, 2017 10:54 am

What version of firmware are you running?
Upgrade to the latest version then do your testing as there have been fixes/changes for this model recently.

Also the WS-8-150-DC does not Hibernate the same as the more expensive WS-12-250-DC.

The WS-12-250-DC has a separate processor to run the power supply which uses around 0.1 watts to run while the switches is in hibernation mode.

The WS-8-150-DC does not have this seperate CPU so it can not offer the same low power consumption hibernation mode offered b by the WS-12-250-DC.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2039&p=15189&hilit=+hibernation+cpu#p15189

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sat May 27, 2017 1:53 pm

beeman wrote:Yes I have checked it on a powerbrick and it works fine (link only 100 not 1000 but that may be my lead/powerbrick)...

If it is a gig PoE brick then it suggests a bad wire or crimp so not all PoE wires carry current effectively doubling the current a single wire. A bad crimp can cause the symptoms to be a little different when plugged into different jacks. Use a banjo on the radio end of the wire to measure voltage drop.

beeman

Sun May 28, 2017 9:05 am

sirhc:-
Firmware = 1.4.7rc8
"Hibernate" Apologies. I am using the term to describe when the switch stops passing traffic but showing LEDs indicating power on.
This is the crux of our problem. At something like 11v, email warnings are sent then it shuts down within a few minutes. We wanted the Netonix to keep our radios "on" down to say 9.5v or 10v -and to give us a chance to change batteries etc.
We had to take it out of our solar + wind station because of this. The Ubiquiti radios (Rocket M5 and PowerBeam M5) are able to run down to 9.5 v.
I started this at:-
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2461
Re the Ubnt R5AC- lite. This was straight out of the box and put into a sector (with RF Armor shielding). The cable test "Pair 4 (pin 7,8) Brown (Short)" Assumed a Ubnt 'feature' as all cables I tried (3) were the same. Also it works with the supplied powerbrick but not at Gig LAN.
I have now tested with same cables using a ubnt PowerBeamM5, cable test = all OK and LAN at Gig.
Have to assume the R5AC-lite has a problem, not the Netonix.

lligetfa:- Yes have come across this and in fact have had a few 'manufactured' CAT5e cables that don't work at a Gig. In addition I have found not all crimpers are the same, and indeed do wear out!. If in doubt swap cables, and sometimes the power brick. I have had cases where it will run at a Gig from a Netonix but not off the supplied powerbrick.
Thanks to you both for speedy replies.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion