Automated Config Backup

Rory

Automated Config Backup

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:26 pm

One thing I was thinking of is that my cisco's are all configured to backup the config to a tftp server anytime I do a write mem. That would be a great feature, regardless if it supported tftp, ftp, sftp, smb, or even email. Automated config backups serve not only as an easy way to replace failed hardware, but a good reference in the event that someone misconfigures a piece of hardware.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Re: Automated Config Backup

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:49 pm

I should add that the backups should be unit agnostic (unlike mikrotik) so it's simple to drop in a backup on a new/replacement unit!

JimBouse

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:07 pm

I run a FTP server for this exact reason on my network.

Each Mikrotik FTPs to the ftp:\\server\deviceName-Internet.Protocol.Address.Number\Date-Time.cfg each night. This gives me a record of each router each night.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:10 pm

JimBouse wrote:I run a FTP server for this exact reason on my network.

Each Mikrotik FTPs to the ftp:\\server\deviceName-Internet.Protocol.Address.Number\Date-Time.cfg each night. This gives me a record of each router each night.

yeah, but configs dont drop directly in on 'tik. Both the 'backup' utility and export command produce configs w/ hard coded MAC addresses. You have to 'sanitize' the config before dropping in onto new hardware :/ lame.

rkelly1
Experienced Member

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:18 pm

rebelwireless wrote:

yeah, but configs dont drop directly in on 'tik. Both the 'backup' utility and export command produce configs w/ hard coded MAC addresses. You have to 'sanitize' the config before dropping in onto new hardware :/ lame.

the backup files on MT drop right in on a new device as long as the device is the same and the operating system version is the same.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:19 pm

or they mangle up the bridge-local and wlan1 because of different MAC addresses.

JimBouse

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:24 pm

rebelwireless wrote:

Ahem... /export compact instead of /export

It doesnt include the mac when you use the compact switch

maglito

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:40 pm

email the backup config as an attachment on config change (or just on demand) would be nice, I could setup a TFTP server too but email is already working so well on these.

I use a similar feature via script on all my mikrotik stuff and it works great.
Example: email script for mikrotik
Code: Select all
/export file=export
/tool e-mail send to=my@email.com subject="$[/system identity get name] export" body="$[/system clock get date] configuration file" file=export.rsc

I schedule that script to fire off weekly on my mikrotik stuff and believe this is a pretty common practice.
Just an idea for future firmware.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:07 pm

Our switches offer TFTP backup every time you save a new config, turn it on under Device/Configuration Tab
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion