Changing to DHCP, timeout too short..

billbuchan

Changing to DHCP, timeout too short..

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:34 am

Hi, I'm taking the christmas holiday season to do some tidy-up work. Such as removing horrible static IP addresses, cleaning up VLAN's, etc. Yes, I know, I should get a life.

Anywhoo, switching from Static addresses to DHCP - according to the log, it takes the switch a while to actually do the teardown, and get the DHCP address. I have around 4 seconds to log into the server (from the 60 second timeout) for it to stick..

How can I increase that timeout?

Cheers, and merry christmas,

---* Bill

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Changing to DHCP, timeout too short..

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:24 am

You can change the default Revert Timer

I did a simple search or posts on the Revert Timer

search.php?keywords=%2Brevert+%2Btimer+%2B0&terms=all&author=sirhc&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

sirhc wrote:So when you hit the Test But all it does is save the changes to memory and not flash which means if the tower is 30 minutes away your still driving to reboot the switch to get back into it.

So this is what will happen, many users will opt to hit the Test Button and forget to save the changes then they will complain that their switch lost its current configuration and they had to drive to the site because of a power blip that rebooted the switch and it reverts to the config saved to flash.

If you simply set the Revert time up to a much higher number like 5 minutes then if you screw up you know all you have to do is wait 5 minutes without having to drive to a tower location.

I agree that the default time of 1 minute is too low which we should have set it to like 5 minutes as the default. I think recently we changed the default to 3 minutes but that would require someone to default the switch to see 3 minutes as the value or manually change it.

Everyone knows that the default is 1 minute and should change it first thing to their desired time.

Has any of you changed your revert timer to a higher number like 5 minutes or are you leaving it at 1 minute and hitting this time out all the time?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

billbuchan

Re: Changing to DHCP, timeout too short..

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:22 am

Ah - Sorry - forgot it was called the 'Revert' timer.

Thanks,

---* Bill

Return to General Discussion