Q-in-Q with Netonix switch and Cisco SG200 loses connection

Taigar

Q-in-Q with Netonix switch and Cisco SG200 loses connection

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:26 am

Hello,

First of all, sorry for my post. Seeing this post, I am feeling a little bit sorry about not posting pictures of our setup. But actually, there is not much to post pictures about.
I am the IT-guy of a holiday resort somewhere in the Netherlands. We are no WISP, and building the network is only a small part of all the other 'IT-things' and other work we have to do here.

Current setup is about 10 Wisp switches, 30 Unifi AP's, a lot of toughcable, and currently about 180 clients, and 80 GB daily usage. With the holidays coming, these numbers will probably double (christmas holidays will be our first holidays with Netonix switches, replaced all the toughswitches due to up/down bandwidth problems).

If I will find some time, I will post our complete setup in the installation topic.

Today I planned replacing 1 toughswitch. This toughswitch passed through some VLAN's, and had a EdgeRouter connected. This EdgeRouter is connected to 1 of our 4 fibre WAN connections. It is connected to a TP-Link fibre converter. 2 connections are from the same ISP, so they have the same converter, and the same VLAN. Because both had to go through the same switch, I needed the EdgeRouter to 'convert' the VLAN. VLAN coming from the ISP is 161. VLAN coming from the Edgerouter is 19.
So those 2 WAN connections are going to our router (pfSense), with VLAN 19 and 161.

After replacing the ToughSwitch with a Netonix WISP switch, it is possible to use QinQ. I tried enabling QinQ on the port coming from the fibre converter, but after setting 'Q', the WISP switch lost it connection.

Between the WISP switch and the router, are 2 Cisco switches (SG200-26P and SG200-26). I think they may be the problem.

To make things a little bit more clear, this is my setup before and after:
I places a red cross at the link that goes down, after enabling 'Q' on the netonix switch.
The Netonix switch currently has noting else connected. The Cisco switches have a lot of other connections, and VLANS, connected. But to keep my drawing clear, I didn't show them.
This is the VLAN config on the wisp switch (media converter connected to port3, Cisco switch connected to port 1):
After I press apply, it will wait for 60 seconds, and convert back to its previous state. I went to the switch, connected my laptop directly, and applied. It loses the connection with the Cisco switch.
I tried enabling Jumbo Frames on the cisco switch, and also put 1 port in 'customer mode'. But it didn't help.

For me currently it is no problem to put the EdgeRouter back in, but it would be nice if I got QinQ working. (never used it before)

Does anyone of you have any experience with Cisco SG200 small business switches and QinQ? Do you have some ideas about what I could try to make it work?

Thanks for reading my post! (and sorry if some things aren't clear, I tried to write it down as easy as possible)

petecarlson
Experienced Member

Re: Q-in-Q with Netonix switch and Cisco SG200 loses connect

Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:08 pm

Just a quick note.

The new RC now has a double tag "D" option (0x8100.0x8100) which should solve this for you.

Return to General Discussion