Failed Voltage Step-Up Converter Just Cost Us a Mini

techboss

Failed Voltage Step-Up Converter Just Cost Us a Mini

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Here's a cautionary tale for everyone's tower cabinet design. Most of our towers have now been "retrofitted" with Netonix (sometimes with interesting results :shock: ). What has given us strange results (never these awesome switches) has been trying to retrofit power options into our cabinet with MINIs. Most of our cabinets had 24v power supplies before we turned Netonix so it wasn't very hard to put in some WS-12-250-DCs and call it good. The MINIs made things interesting however as they required 48v (whether POE or barrel connector). This was a problem as the cabinets only had 24v power supplies.

What we have been doing with great success is to put a 24v-to-48v step-up converter between the power supply and the MINI. We probably have about 7 towers done like this.

Well on Sunday I received a notification that an airFiber 5 was down at one of our sites (meaning the entire site was offline). Weather prohibited us from going out that day so we went out first thing Monday morning. Unsure of what to expect, I brought a multitude of spare devices with me (MINI, POE, Voltage tester, etc.)

When we arrived on site and opened the cabinet I was met with the unforgettable smell of electrical burn. I immediately noticed that the MINI had gone dark and showed no link lights. I pulled the barrel connector and plugged in my voltage tester to it. What I saw next could only be described as visceral terror.....83.3V! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Needless to say the MINI was totally destroyed; I'm talking black, BBQ grill brush charcoal. Somehow the 24v-to-48v step-up converter had failed catastrophically and was pushing a huge amount of voltage into the MINI. Fortunately I had brought a WS-8-150-DC with me just in case so I wired that up directly to the 24v power supply. I turned on 48VH on port 1 and connected the AF5. I didn't even bother reprogramming the switch yet. I just wanted to see if my AF5 was still drawing breathe :-| Now some of you may be aware that the AF5s take a LONG time before they establish a LAN link. That was the longest wait of my life. A quick UBNT discovery revealed that my precious AF5 was alive and well. I reprogrammed the new switch and we were back up and running in less than 10.

Moral of the story here, be REALLY careful which electrical components you use at your sites. A $10 part may just cost you a $1000 radio.

Happy WISPing guys!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Failed Voltage Step-Up Converter Just Cost Us a Mini

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:17 pm

Yea, you were pretty lucky as the WS-6-MINI and WS-12-DC switches simply pass out what ever voltage you send them as the 48V or 48VH POE option.

My guess is the WS-6-MINI died quick and painless before it knew what was going on and the MOSFET circuits oped up and stopped passing any POE? Or the voltage climbed slowly and the WS-6-MINI dies somewhere between 56V and 60V which I "think" is still OK for the AF radio?

You can still RMA it for repair for $75.00 - cheaper than a new switch, it gets a NEW board installed so basically a NEW switch for $75
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1259

You can RMA a destroyed switch that is no longer even in warranty and get a new board installed in it for about half the cost of a new one.

In this industry that is a good deal I think.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

techboss

Re: Failed Voltage Step-Up Converter Just Cost Us a Mini

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Thanks Chris, this is Tyler BTW. We've had several switches repaired. Thanks for your help!

Return to General Discussion