Arp Entry Management

CVPB

Re: Arp Entry Management

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:21 pm

sirhc wrote:Building a good wireless network to handle VOIP is an artwork.

Absolutely agreed and unfortunately my pleas to have physical fiber runs totaling less than 1/2 mile entirely on our own property have been ignored for almost two years, and I've forewarned them of issues like this at are easily resolved.

I do like the mimosas, I do not like how they handle VoIP at all. We only have ~100 phones deployed right now so traffic even at 100kbps per call on all lines wouldn't be anywhere near the Mimosa bandwidth limit, but as you said they don't have flow control which is another issue entirely.

I appreciate your help and I just finished the video you linked, definitely learned some new things but always good to refresh what I've learned already. Your switches are very self explanatory and easy to use.

I wasn't sure if the Mimosas or the Netonix were more of a problem with the VoIP but now you've assured me it's the Mimosas and I will be reporting that and yet again trying to push for a fiber installation.

I appreciate your help and feedback in this and of course wireless VoIP isn't fun for anyone when it's not done right.

Thanks again

mike99
Associate
Associate

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:11 am

Have you try to set 802.1P (need a tagged VLAN to configure this value) or DSCP value for voice paquet matching voice queue ?
http://client.help.mimosa.co/client-faq ... ervice-qos

Maybe Netonix could eventually set the 802.1P value when the paquet is tagged, something like vlan 104 802.1p value is 6 instead of 0, that would be a nice option, maybe not for WISP but for small layer 2 network.

CVPB

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:56 pm

mike99 wrote:Have you try to set 802.1P (need a tagged VLAN to configure this value) or DSCP value for voice paquet matching voice queue ?
http://client.help.mimosa.co/client-faq ... ervice-qos

Maybe Netonix could eventually set the 802.1P value when the paquet is tagged, something like vlan 104 802.1p value is 6 instead of 0, that would be a nice option, maybe not for WISP but for small layer 2 network.

I think the easiest setup I've seen was on our Cambiums, just assigning VoIP/Voice priority to a specific VLAN.

Also, I did some more digging and found out that our InGate SIParator Firewall has QoS options that aren't even enabled, let alone configured so that may be our underlying issue.

Going to make a "friendly" call today to our consultants/msp who set that all up for us.

I also added a Windows GPO for Policy based QoS on our VoIP subnet but the server isn't joined to the domain so it may not make a difference unless it directly affects the windows DHCP scope, which hopefully it does.

Thanks for your help guys, appreciate the feedback and hopefully this will resolve our issues.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:24 pm

CVPB wrote:I think the easiest setup I've seen was on our Cambiums, just assigning VoIP/Voice priority to a specific VLAN.

I asked in the associate's private forum for QoS config on Netonix to be like the ePMP line and change seem to have been accepted. But it will probably only affect localy at the switch, not the other device like the wireless link connected to it, just like the Cambium device, at less, for the ePMP line.

CVPB

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:30 am

mike99 wrote:
CVPB wrote:I think the easiest setup I've seen was on our Cambiums, just assigning VoIP/Voice priority to a specific VLAN.

I asked in the associate's private forum for QoS config on Netonix to be like the ePMP line and change seem to have been accepted. But it will probably only affect localy at the switch, not the other device like the wireless link connected to it, just like the Cambium device, at less, for the ePMP line.

This is good to hear, I understand it wont affect any immediate devices unless they support it or can be configured for it as well. Unfortunately I'm stuck with these wireless bridges for the time being but we are at least actively working towards a fiber installation. It's probably close to a half mile of fiber across our property so it'll take time, also depends on the coming weather but hopefully it'll go well.

Thanks for the info

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:05 pm

Why did you not use AF24 or AF24HD as the bridge which would be cheaper than fiber and is a full duplex link.

Your main issue with VOIP is from the "half duplex" link that is probably being spiked to max for short durations saturating the link and packets are being dropped and since VOIP is UDP you get stutter and or just crappy effects.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

CVPB

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:09 pm

sirhc wrote:Why did you not use AF24 or AF24HD as the bridge which would be cheaper than fiber and is a full duplex link.

Your main issue with VOIP is from the "half duplex" link that is probably being spiked to max for short durations saturating the link and packets are being dropped and since VOIP is UDP you get stutter and or just crappy effects.

This fiber installation is also partly for the new facility we're building, and we'd like to eliminate as much wireless as possible either way considering the importance of the network. We're a 24/7 facility and it's impossible to update wireless bridges and such without downtime, as opposed to having redundant switches that you can update individually without interrupting anything.

I have made a lot of improvements over the last few days but I'm still waiting for a window to do the final firmware updates on our last two Netonix switches, and the mimosas still need a firmware update as well.

0 downtime is allowed and any explanation of why we need a few minutes of downtime is ignored entirely pretty much. It's frustrating when every second down is money lost but that's just how it is around here unfortunately.

Previous
Return to General Discussion