AirFiber port on Netonix issue

Mike

AirFiber port on Netonix issue

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:48 pm

Hello I had a port do funny things today and was wondering what you thought. Its a ws-24-400b running 1.4.3 rc5 and I have an Air Fiber 5X in port 1 at 48VH and it has been up fine for over 5 months. Today it decided to go off so just the red light was on and blinking and no link on data at all. I logged into AF thru wireless and again No Link for about an hour or so then I shut port power down for 30 seconds on the switch and back on and everything has been fine since. Uptime on AF was 150 days. Do you think it may have been excessive uptime and a bunged up radio or could some traffic issue cause it to flake out?

Mike

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: AirFiber port on Netonix issue

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:01 pm

Possible Cause 1:
Bad or failing switch port

Possible Cause 2:
Bad cable or end, since the AFX radio will operate on the following POE options
24V using pair 3 and 4
48V using pair 3 and 4
24V using pair 1, 2, 3 and 4
48V using pair 1, 2, 3 and 4
Note that if any wire from pair 1 or 2 (Pins 1, 2, 3, and 6) loses connection no data link will exist but the radio will remain powered via the other wires.

The AFX radios will remain powered so long as one wire from any pin delivery positive DC and any on pin delivering negative DC

Possible Cause 3:
Bad or failing port in AFX radio.

Possible Cause 4:
Moisture in a corrector allowing attenuation between pins in pair 1 or 2 because moisture in pair 3 or 4 would simply cause a drop to 100M link
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Mike

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:08 pm

hmm well I just ran cable test from switch came back perfect we know that is picky so I guess I wait till it happens again and try to diagnose further.
You would think bad cable or end etc. wouldn't really fix itself on reboot. hmm I should have ran cable test first before reboot just to see.

Mike

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:19 pm

So yesterday I spent the day on a tower because one of my guys left a NEMA box open on top of a water tank that has a 24 port patch panel in it where all my radios plug in and it rained all night Wednesday night.

Starting at about 11PM I started seeing links drop from 1G to 100M and 100M to 10M and some to no link at all.

When it first started and we had no idea what was going on we rebooted the radio by bouncing the port which restored the link for a minute or 2 then it dropped down and eventually failed.

Another customer I am working this week with reported a rat chewed through his cables causing intermittent reboots of the switch when the bare wired touched in the wind or were disturbed.

cabling is a fickle thing.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion