Edgepower

Sjones1

Edgepower

Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Will the new Ubnt Edgepower power the Netonix DC Switches or it is just for their Edgepoints?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Edgepower

Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Why would you want to power the WS-8-150-DC or WS-12-250-DC with an EdgePower?????

The WS-8-150-DC and WS-12-250-DC are meant to hook directly to your batteries and will operate with an input voltage range of 9 - 72VDC and still power any 24V or 48V device including airFIBER and other high power radios.

Our switches will work with a much wider voltage range which in an emergency will allow you to completely drain your battery bank to keep your site up if you chose to.

Now I suppose you could power our WS-12-DC with the EdgePOWER since the WS-12-DC needs conditioned 43-54VDC power.

But I would think it would be smarter to just use a WS-12-250-DC or WS-8-150-DC hooked directly to your batteries and then use a solar charger or AC charger to keep the batteries charged?

Since our SMART DC switches operate from 9-72V you can use 12V, 24V, 36V, or 48V battery bank and the switch will drain any bank even a 48V bank down to 9V in an emergency if AC power is out or cloud cover has degraded solar and you can not get to it right away so you simply tell the switch to discharge the batteries as far down as you dare or all the way if you want to.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Sjones1

Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:38 pm

Thanks for the reply Sirhc. We use Tripplite inverter/chargers and they work great but there isn't an easy way to set up notifications when AC is down that I have found.

wisphopefull

Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:15 pm

Easiest way to be notified of AC power outage is to have a seperate router powered directly from the mains, not the UPS.
Monitor that by ping in The Dude or whatever.

I use a Mikrotik RBMaP2n , which also gives me wifi on the site for mangement.

SuiQ7y71

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:13 am

Maybe if your radios and a WS-8-150-DC are at the top of a tower, and your batteries + AC power are at the bottom... Then an EdgePower with an AC and DC module makes sense. Run 48vdc up the tower via 12/2 (and maybe you happen to feed this site via fiber, send that up as well). Either that way, Tycon, MeanWell, or some other setup. Seems like a smart way to do it. I don't know how much they (EP) cost though.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:46 am

You do not need the Edge Power just cables up the tower direct from the batteries.

If you insist on using a power supply you want the WS-12-DC not the SMART DC models
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Dawizman
Experienced Member

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:06 pm

Sjones1 wrote:Thanks for the reply Sirhc. We use Tripplite inverter/chargers and they work great but there isn't an easy way to set up notifications when AC is down that I have found.

We monitor input voltage of our Netonix switches via SNMP, and trigger an alert if it drops. I know within 10 minutes is power is out at a tower. I could know sooner, but we have 24 hours runtime at all of our DC sites.

Return to General Discussion