General grounding advice

mlow

General grounding advice

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:24 pm

So I have read all of Chris' posts on grounding and am now looking for some general advice, for situations where we are on an A/C site but the service panel is about 100 meters away, and there's a run of 12/2 (I believe, might have to confirm, maybe 10AWG but I hope not 14AWG) coming up to our tower shed, into a wall outlet, a UPS (Liebert GTX2) is plugged into the outlet, and our WS-12-AC is plugged into that. The WS-12-AC's ground lug is connected to our tower ground.

So the path for any ground potential difference current is now through the WISP switch! No problems so far.
What would you do to bond the A/C ground and tower ground in such a situation? I basically have a single wall outlet accessible in the shed. If the UPS had a ground lug, would you use that? Then any difference with equalize through the UPS, but at least not through the switch. A fat copper cable between the service panel's ground and the tower ground? Might cost quite a few $$$.. How about just running a cable between the outlet box and the tower ground?

I appreciate any replies!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: General grounding advice

Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:08 pm

No you must not have read them all or you skimmed it.
This is what you should do in this case: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1786&start=30#p13447
What you have will burn up the switch when the ground potential shifts and the service ground potential varies to far from the tower ground potential.

Since your service grounds are so far away you only want to bring the HOT and NEUTRAL from the service panel and use the tower Earth Ground system for the receptacle in your box.

Here are some good posts on grounding:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1816
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=188
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1429
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1786&start=30#p13447
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airFiber/ ... rue#M31070
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mlow

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:42 pm

Must've skimmed - didn't register this part deeply enough though I remember it now :/

This is what we'll investigate doing, thanks

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:52 pm

And do not forget to run a #2 dedicated ground wire up the tower to a ground buss then #6 to each antenna, do not reply on STEEL being a better path to ground than COPPER Ethernet Cable.

And make sure to add a LARGE Ethernet service loop at radios to insure Ethernet path to ground is LONGER than the dedicated copper run to ground.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=188
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion