Switch reset on its own

keefe007
Experienced Member

Switch reset on its own

Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:48 pm

What would cause a switch to reset to factory defaults on its own?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Switch reset on its own

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:03 am

1) The power flicked on and off fast several times "can" cause this with any embedded system using FLASH
I have seen this happen with AC switches when power flicked on and off fast several times with no UPS.
I have heard of this happening when people are hooking up a DC switch and the do not connect the power cable fast and solid and let it arch (spark) several times.

2) Someone logged into it and defaulted it, maybe you were hacked?

3) I have seen switches RMA's that had dust in the default button so it was depressed and every time it booted it was factory defaulted. You can test the default button with a paper clip and it should click when depressed and you should feel it click. Fixed with a can of air.

4) I suppose a bad flash chip might do this but it would not be an isolated event and would continuously occur.

5) Pretty much nothing else, not possible.

But would help as always to at least guess at a cause to know the model number, firmware version, and an explanation as to the environment it happens in.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion