New to Netonix (and wisping in general). Siklu, Mimosa Q's

UnicornWrangler

New to Netonix (and wisping in general). Siklu, Mimosa Q's

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:10 am

Hey y'all,

Sorry this is a bit wordy; I'm hoping some combined experience present here can help me out.

My wisp is a little over a year old now. I've spent a lot of time in the UBNT forums. I have been using UBNT AC gear delivering 100mbps+ service to a suburban environment in a city near home, and have had some awesome WoM. It's been a lot of fun. Nothing like slipping flyers in doors until your feet fall off! Image

It's growing, and I want to do things differently while it's still young to future proof my service as 4k streaming becomes more prevalent, and to keep up with the wireline providers. I don't see ubnt's ptmp taken seriously in ~5 years, unless they develop an AirFiber ptmp solution, which would be awesome. The AC team seems to struggle, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (my equipment has worked fine), but it's taken so long to develop an across-the-board stable platform, that I foresee them falling behind in the platform race as time passes. I do appreciate the quality of the product for the price though.

I want to create a bunch of mesh/rings, using siklu EH-1200FX or EH-2200FX to backhaul the service from micropop to micropop, and I want to use Mimosa A5-14 "quamni's" for ptmp to customers. I think they'll work great for the application I want to use them in when they get TDMA and GPS sync working. Each micropop will have 2-3 siklus, and 1 Mimosa A5-14. Ubnt has been good for me so far, but the coverage area/customer capacity ratio isn't what I need. 40 customer limit per AP will be a brick wall soon when I run out of spectrum with such large coverage areas. 1000' coverage diameter of the A5-14 and higher customer capacity will be great with such a densely populated suburban environment.

Before anyone freaks out about cost, I have enough funding to carry this out. I'm hoping to pick up 10k-20k customers in the next 5-10 years or so. I'm going to need to hire a few people, and of course, MORE flyers!!! (Hopefully Hillary/Trump don't destroy America before I reach my goal :willy: )

I'm HOPING that one of the smaller WISP Switches will be able to power all 3-4 devices. That would be SO much easier than retrofitting a micropop enclosure to accommodate individual PoE's. Just batteries and a WISP switch in a box would be so awesome. I read in the forums here that Siklu's generally require a 48VH port. I'm looking at the WS-10-250-AC, which has two 48VH ports. This looks like the cheapest option available that has what I need, but according to the Mimosa data sheet, the A5-14 also requires 48v.

On the micropops that have 3 silku's, I'm probably just going to have to put a PoE brick in the enclosure. But the smaller the enclosure and less variables to worry about, the better.

I guess my main question is, will Mimosa be able to run with a regular 48V PoE port? Mimosa's PoE data sheet information:

"802.3at and Passive PoE compliant, 48-56 V Power over Ethernet supply with IEC61000-4-5 surge protection"

I have a lot to learn when it comes to PoE. I'll learn as I go. :smile: This has been a great learning experience thus far.

If people care or are interested, I'll post pics and stories with WISP Switch implementations as I go. I watched Chris' Netonix movie, and I love it! It has everything that I need/want, and it seems like an all around solid switch.

Here is a poorly drawn overview of what I want to do. My, erm... pet monkey drew it. Not me. Yeah.

Overview.png

Any additional advice in general would be appreciated as this is a large project. Has anyone here ever created a ring/mesh topology like this before?
Thank you for your time! :D :thumbsup:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: New to Netonix (and wisping in general). Siklu, Mimosa Q

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:13 am

I power some of my MIMOSA radios with 48V, especially OK if cable length is short.

Only radios that I have found that NEED 48VH are AF24, AF5, and other expensive higher end PTP links, especially on short cables.

You might want to look at using the WS-12-250-AC over the WS-10-250-AC as it is the same physical size but gives you FOUR 48VH ports.

The next production of WS-12-400-AC which is Rev F offers SIX 48VH ports in a slightly bigger chassis.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion