Port Isolation function

jluthman

Port Isolation function

Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:14 am

I have port 1 of a WS going to a dumb switch (which has a MT and PC).

I checked Port Isolation for ports 1 and 2, it is left unchecked for 3-8

The MT is seeing the discovery/CDP of the devices plugged in to 3-8.

Isn't this incorrect behavior? It's my understanding I can use port 1-2 to power a backhaul, go to the router, and then plug a port of the router to say port 8 for all of the APs.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Port Isolation function

Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:32 am

Read these posts found with a search for "Port Isolation":
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1126&p=8391&hilit=port+isolation#p8391
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=426&p=5096&hilit=port+isolation#p5096

Port Isolation (but discussed a couple times on forum)
Any port with Port Isolation Enabled will not talk to any other port with Port Isolation also Enabled. Pretty much the same as client Isolation on an AP.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jluthman

Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:57 am

sirhc wrote:Read these posts found with a search for "Port Isolation":

Port Isolation (but discussed a couple times on forum)
Any port with Port Isolation Enabled will not talk to any other port with Port Isolation also Enabled. Pretty much the same as client Isolation on an AP.

But it is, that's my problem. Port 1 traffic (which has PI enabled) is talking to port 3-8.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:09 pm

Port Isolation - as discussed a couple times on forums wrote:Any port with Port Isolation Enabled will not talk to any other port with Port Isolation also Enabled. Pretty much the same as client Isolation on an AP.

Please read what I say above and in the links to posts I provided above, but let me get my english teachers hat on and break it down for you! :rofl4:

If you click port isolation on a port that port can not talk to another port that also has port isolation selected but it "can" talk to other ports that do "not" have port isolation selected.

jluthman wrote: But it is, that's my problem. Port 1 traffic (which has PI enabled) is talking to port 3-8.

I checked Port Isolation for ports 1 and 2, it is left unchecked for 3-8
The MT is seeing the discovery/CDP of the devices plugged in to 3-8.

That would mean that ports 1 and 2 can not talk to each other but can talk to ports that do not have it checked such as ports 3-8

By what you say you have port isolation checked on ports 1 and 2 but not checked on ports 3-8

Then you are complaining that the MT on Port 1 is seeing devices on Ports 3-8 which is what it should be doing?
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jluthman

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:23 pm

>If you click port isolation on a port that port can not talk to another port that also has port isolation selected but it "can" talk to other ports that do "not" have port isolation selected.

I see what you're saying now. I'm not sure what Port Isolation even does at this point then?

My goal is to have port1 go to an AF5x backhaul and port2 go to a Mikrotik "WAN" port. Then I want ports 3-8 to go to APs and the Mikrotik "LAN" port. Is this possible with only one WispSwitch?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:38 pm

Yea, what you're talking about is done by using VLANs

Maybe go watch my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JvBEAD4MFM

You can create little virtual switches with VLANs and not even pass VLAN traffic through them, you can do a lot with VLANs if you master them

jluthman

Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Thanks again! I was hoping I could avoid VLANs but it certainly gets the job done.

mcnnetops

Fri May 31, 2019 9:28 pm

You know, this could be improved slightly (post from a while ago I know...)...

If you had group 1 and 2 for port isolation... anything isolated in group 1 could not talk to anything in group 1 and anything isolated in group 2 could not talk to anything isolated in group 2 that would be swell.

I know that this can be done via 2 vlans, but in our situation we have two back hauls coming into our switch, and two ports for data to our router from the switch.

A 2 group port isolation would have served nicely in that situation! I used vlans to make it work - but - just saying!

All in all an awesome product - keep up the good work.

So, Feature request?

Port Isolation Groups option? Thanks.
:ak:

squirrely

Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:56 pm

Basically it would be better to have a table like you have in other switches where you can set which port can forward traffic to what other ports..
That way you can have two backhaul uplink ports and let them talk to downlink ports but not among themselves.

Return to General Discussion