New to Netonix, where are the docs

gracino

New to Netonix, where are the docs

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:05 pm

We are evaluating Netonix switches to replace Ubiquiti ToughSwitches.
Where the heck are your documents?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: New to Netonix, where are the docs

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:48 pm

We do not have a manual.

Our interface is pretty simple to run, if you can run a ToughSWITCH you should have no trouble running ours but we do have this forum which you can search for just about any question.

Our switches are designed for WISPs so we assume our users have a pretty good handle on networking basics?

We also have a 1.5 hour video tour on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JvBEAD4MFM

Get one of our switches and play with it in a lab and then if you have any questions first search the forums and if you can not find your answer post a question.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Mikey@systemseven.net

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:45 pm

"network basics" isn't what we are looking for in the documents. Specific funtionality would be more helpful in a guide. We have a fully functioning network with out these switches, but Netonix should be giving us more control of the network then we had before using them. Those added features are why we bought them and also what we are hoping to find documentation on. Going from Juniper or Cisco to Netonix is supposed to make our jobs easier and knowing how to use the features isn't "basic". I'm not an engineer nor am I trying to be, but I have at least basic networking knowledge and I beleive in another post a Netonix employee stated that "yes we do need a manual".

Are there any plans on making a manual available any time soon?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:34 pm

It was me that said it would be nice if we had a manual but we do not yet, sorry.

We are working slowly on one.

What do you need help with?

The Header area has a switch graphics;
The outside of each port lights up green if 24V POE, orange if 48V POE, pink if 24VH POE, red if 48VH POE, and stays grey if no POE option is selected for that port.

Below the switch graphic is a watts graph that either displays the watts used for the current port selected or if no port is selected the total watts being used by the whole switch is displayed.

There are some stats displayed on the right side of the switch graphic once again for the port selected or if no port is selected the whole switch.

Now lets just go through each TAB quickly and see whats on them.

Status Tab;
Simply move your mouse over anything that looks like it might do something which is basically just the little gears where a drop down menu appears with pretty straight forward options like clear stats, and port bounce.

Then there are the little drop down menus around the bottom 2 graphs that let you select different graphs or time periods.

Ports Tab;
Here you select the POE option for each port as well as you can specify speed duplex.

There are some column headers like ISO, PS, FC which if you mouse over the column headers like most GUI interfaces a help balloon will appear that tells you what each column is such as shown below and I provided an easy link to a post that talks about that feature if you do a simple search for it;

ISO = Port Isolation viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1959&p=14471&hilit=Port+Isolation#p14471

FC = Flow Control - You can Google how Flow Control works

PS = POE Smart viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1178

DS= DHCP Snooping viewtopic.php?f=17&t=971&p=8168&hilit=DHCP+Snooping#p8168

VLAN Tab;
We did not invent or change the way VLANs work but our UI is obviously a little different, although I consider it quite simple.

There are many posts on the VLAN Tab, here is one from today: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2092#p15252

Maybe you need to understand how QinQ works:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1837&p=14332&hilit=QinQ#p14332
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1896&p=14079&hilit=QinQ#p14079
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1467&p=11559&hilit=QinQ#p11559

LAG Tab;
We do STATIC and LACP LAGs

Once again we did not invent them nor are we going to teach you how to use them, that is what the internet and classes are for.

Since LACP and STATIC LAGs are industry standard protocols that work between different manufacturers a simple Google Search explains how they work and what the fields do: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... q=LACP+LAG

STP Tab;
Same deal, industry standard protocol, we did not invent it and all the fields you can set are standard fields so a Google search for the win: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... F-8#q=RSTP

QOS Tab; - A NEW A UN-YET VERIFIED FEATURE JUST ADDED
Same deal, industry standard protocol, we did not invent it and all the fields you can set are standard fields so a Google search for the win again: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... TF-8#q=QOS

Tools Tab;
When we get to the Tools Tab these are the sub-tabs;
- Watchdog - This tab is pretty straight forward but if you need help with this one just ask on the forums.

- Tools/Port Bounce - This tab is pretty straight forward but if you need help with this one just ask on the forums.

- Tools/Traceroute - This tab is pretty straight forward but if you need help with this one just ask on the forums.

- Tools/Mirror - This tab is pretty straight forward but if you need help with this one just ask on the forums.

- Tools/Discovery - Now what this tab does is not standard. First off you have to enable it on the Device/Configuration Tab but once you do and then go to it you should understand what is going on. It is looking for and displaying anything it finds on your Layer 2 segment with UDP, CDP, and LLDP protocols.

Power Tab;
Now if you have an AC model it is pretty straight forward. For each port you can specify what time you want the port POE shut OFF and what time you want it turned ON.

If you have a SMART DC model it gets a little more complicated but once again there are mouse over help balloons for those items we felt a little challenging for some people.

Device Tab;
When we get to the Device Tab these are the sub-tabs;

- Device/Configuration

Well the only things in here that might not make obvious sense is, keeping in mind some items have mouse over balloons to help you;

TFTP Backup - Here you can put in the URL of your TFTP server plus the file name you want the file to be called then every time you do a Save/Apply it also saves a copy of your config to the TFTP server. It will always add the unique config number to the end of the file so it does not overwrite older files. EXAMPLE: tftp://8.8.8.8/lss-ws1

Serial Proxy - This is for a special application/industry and a work in progress (NEW Feature) - NO HELP HERE FOR YOU SORRY

Radius - Well you can have the switch authenticate UI/CLI users against a radius server but the static credentials are always active.

Storm Control - You can simply set a limit for certain types of protocols, anything above that limit would be dropped.

Pause Frame Storm Control has been talked about on here many times, a simple search yields these posts that talk about it:
search.php?keywords=%2BPause+%2BFrame+%2BStorm&terms=all&author=sirhc&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

- Device/Status - Pretty self explanatory

- Device/Log - You should know what this is

- Device/MAC Table - You should know what this is

- Device/Console - You should know what this is

- Device/Access Control - This is an access list that can talk to the switch UI/CLI/CPU and configures the Tar Pit

We are NOT Juniper, we are NOT Cisco, we are a SMALL company that is under staffed.

UBNT did not have manuals until they were about 5 years old and worth millions, give me a break please we are doing are best.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Mikey@systemseven.net

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:40 am

thank you. Ill have to get into one and read up on your response at the same time. I don't have specific questions necessarily, but I like to be able to read up on new products that we are putting into production, just in case we run into problems I would have a fall back on troubleshooting. Our network isn't a flat network so it gets a little complicated and then adding in VOIP and other services makes it more complicated, so the more information we have to go back to is better in the long run. Thank you for your response and still looking forward to a manual. you guys seem to be WAY more knowledgeable then I am and I'm excited to see the finished product.
Thanks again.

DruidGetafix

Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:47 pm

It would be really nice if there was a reference document for the CLI. Any chance of that?

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:29 pm

The CLI is self-documenting.

Once you're viewing the CLI

Simply press the ? button to see the list of options available too you or if you have partially typed in a command. Press the ? in order to see possible command completion options

This is the equivalent to how the cisco CLI works.

DruidGetafix

Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:08 pm

I honestly think a short document containing the CLI command tree would go a long way in alleviating the hunt-and-peck and diving-down-the-rabbit-hole nature of figuring out what is available in the CLI and where it is. Nothing fancy - just the basics of what is there and where it is.

Being equivalent to the Cisco CLI is not to be considered a good thing IMHO - it is loathed by many.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:30 pm

When I get some time I might be able to put together a simple web page on the forum's for it.

Return to General Discussion