Decision Time

Texwire

Decision Time

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:11 am

I have read until I cannot find new pages to read so here we go with my last question before committing.

I want all towers to have backup power of some type.
We have 4 towers with the fiber and those towers we installed the Generac 7000Kw Propane Generators (We should be good here) Generator was $1800.00, Heater for the generator was another $225.00, and we just installed 250gal propane tanks with regulators, and shutoffs on each side of the connections going in and out, between generator and propane source. ($1,200.00)

The rest of the towers will get batteries, and either Tycon TP-BC(12,24,48)-300 or a good 3 stage charger. The two items will then connect to the batteries. If we use 24v battery bank or more we will use the Minn Kota that the Boss uses in here (It just makes since to charge batteries separately). What is the preferred method or opinion of peeps in here. I like the idea of the Minn Kota but worry about life of batteries with the constant draw and charge. I worry about the Tycon things not handling the "wild" west Texas 3 phase out in the pastures and oil fields.

Thanks for the input from any involved. Either way we go it will be better than what we are doing now (Nothing!!!!) Cheap UPS....

Kevin

Texwire

Re: Decision Time

Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:32 pm

From a bit more reading I gather that as long as you have plenty of amps to handle both load and a good charge the Minn Kota's are the way to go. If I am just powering a switch or Edge Router or EP-R6 then they will draw 1-5 amps at most (less than 5 radios). That leaves plenty to charge and what not. I am ordering the Minn Kota tomorrow. Going to order two of them for the boats too. Mount them on the boat and then I just have to plug them in... Looks impressive to me.

Kevin

Return to General Discussion