24Port with 24vh?

Texwire

24Port with 24vh?

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:32 pm

I have three of the WS-24-400A (Board Rev. D) Firmware 1.4.0rc25 (Will upgrade that tonight)
We need the 24vh and the specs do not show to have the 24vh on the 24 port switches.
I just wanted to verify this before I figured out if we want to just use two 12 port switches or if we can order newer 24 port versions that have the 24vh.

Thanks in advanced,
Kevin

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: 24Port with 24vh?

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:38 pm

For what reason do you want 24VH ports?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Texwire

Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:04 am

I have 4 AF5X links right now,
1 radios is at 150' on the tower and 20 or so more feet to the room and switch,
1 it at 150' on an old drilling rig and about 20' to the box,
the third one in question is at 160' on the tower and about 30' to the other side of the room where our switch and router is.

I am currently using a WS-12-250B at one site and it currently has of course the 12 ports with 5 AP's in it
1 link to the router (Future trunk of the vlans),
1 connection to the dns/ntpd server,
2 backhaul radios using your midspan (vlan) setup that go off the four switch ports they are using into two routed ports on the router.

We are going to add 2 more 2.4 AP's here, and 1 more BH link to another tower. The BH link will join two towers together that both have 100Mbits of fiber (one of these is in the process of going to 1 Gbit. The other we will probably drop in June of next year.

From the tower that link will hop to another 8 miles away we have a tower with a 1Gbit fiber already, I will put another link there in order to make the links between them real solid. The AF5X radios give us lower frequencies other wise I would use the AF5's. Still might but I have to lose a few old, old M5 bridges and nano stations in order to get those AP's over to the UNII 1 frequencies.

The 150' foot mark comes into play and AF5's would do it, but I have to clear some frequencies first.
All of our towers have anywhere at least 2 links to other towers, a few have 3 and one has 5 Backhaul radios on it. I like the way you do the Vlan's because it is only one node or piece of equipment vs. all the bricks and it is much cleaner.

attached is a picture of the tower mentioned above with the WS-12-250B in it and if we use the AFX over the AF we need at least 1 24vh port for the one AFX. It is already full now.

I think I am going to use the WS-12-250-DC in most places because I am putting Tycon's TP-BC (12,24 or 48)-300's with good batteries on them. We have electricity at all our sites but out here in west texas it is highly unstable with all the oil and wild 3 phase that they run all over the countryside.

Am I thinking Right? I know I can use two of the switches but I was just trying to keep it to one. Easier to put the 24 port switch even where it is overkill due to we can stock more of them here in case of need.

Kevin

Texwire

Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:15 am

Trying to connect phone to pc and it is whippin me, damn phones, I told you I was not an guru. Will attach when I figure it out.

Kevin

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:32 am

ClaudeSS said he's done 250 feet on 24V with just 2 wires but I'm sure he must have meant 2 pairs (4 wires).
http://community.ubnt.com/t5/airFiber/A ... 362#M29566

Were you aware that all but some early models of AF5X can be powered by 48V? At 48V over 2 pairs, for the distance you are going, you should have enough margin.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:26 am

@Texwire

Read Post #1 in this thread about AFX radios and it tell you which ones are limited to 24V ot 24VH and which ones can use
24V, 24VH, 48B, and 48VH

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1215#p9040
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Texwire

Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Yes, I have all newer than those MAC's for the AFX, and I will do it with the regular 24v and see. It is not like I cant put a brick in real quick if needed. Therefore not a deal cruncher by any means. I have a AF5 that shows the cable being 302' on a 20 mile link that is just awesome. It might have something to do with it having CAT6 or a cable that is 22gauge pairs instead of 24 gauge. Not sure, I am just now getting in a position where I have time to do my homework better so that I actually understand. I use to just throw up what everyone else said worked and I did get away with it. But .... That will not last as we get bigger and bigger. That is why I read the post from certain people even if I do not understand. Sooner or later I will. My son just brought my phone back with my pictures on a usb stick. (Calling me an idiot he was!!!!) So I posted the one site I mentioned above.
Thanks for the replies and I will power them with regular 2 pair 24v for now and we will see what happens. I believe a good cable also helps. A week or damaged cable will be flakey at any lenghth.

Kevin

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:25 pm

Kevin,

If you have the NEWER AF5X or AF2X or AF3X radio you SHOULD use 48V or 48VH not 24V

Why would you want to use 24V or 24VH if you have the newer AF5X radio that supports 48V or 48VH? :crazy:

AF24 and AF5 use 48VH ONLY

Texwire

Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Awesome, I did not even think about the 48v option. I do read where it says you can. that is what I will change them to. I have them on the netonix switches and am using the 24v. Only one is on a switch with 24vh, and 3 are using bricks. I bet that will fix that all together. That is why I follow you people. Opinionated you may be but when the opinion is better than what I have......

Thanks Boss!!!
Kevin

Return to General Discussion