Netonix on AM tower

srysewyk

Netonix on AM tower

Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:59 pm

Any known issues for mounting Netonix switches on an AM tower?

I will follow all best practices on grounding etc. This tower is shunt fed.

thank you

Shannon

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Netonix on AM tower

Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:19 pm

Our DC models had issues with FM towers, not sure about AM towers but the new DC switches shipping now are RevF boards which have special filtering in them to help with this problem.

AC switches never had the issue.

All FM towers have always been a problem with Ethernet communications which is nothing we can so about that.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

srysewyk

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks for the information. I have my choice between 24V DC or 120 AC at the site.

My friend who is an RF engineer recommends I go with the AC version of your switch as most of the noise from the AM tower should be cleaned off when you convert to DC in the switch.

However eyeing up your WS-12-250-DC I see your variable DC input would suggest you are doing some DC / DC kung fu which would achieve the same result.

Whatever route I go with I will post results for others to see. Hopefully positive

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:51 pm

Just make sure to review good ground procedures especially on large towers like this else you may fry some equipment.

Here are some good posts on grounding:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=188
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1429
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

srysewyk

Thu May 10, 2018 11:40 am

I know its been awhile since this post. But I will add for the community that this has been running just fine.

I cannot stress however make sure you understand your voltage and power component "transfers" on the AM structure.

The above post on grounding is an excellent read and should be mandatory :P

In this case it is a shunt fed tower, I had to ground at the enclosure (to your ground wire) and to the tower itself and then again have a ground clamp at the base of the tower. Then from that clamp\strip to three ground rods.

This was to put a AF24 (again grounding to your "ground run" and to the tower) for a radio station to do an STL link. Which has worked great. The WS-250-12 is up linked via Fiber down to the radio room.

The AC\power run for switch is #10 outdoor rated. Leaves the radio hut, physically is buried underground (ties into the ground rods) and runs up the leg of the tower to the enclosure. (again to the tower)

A year after this a Mimosa B5 and two UBNT M5 radios were added, following careful grounding having the same success.

A word of caution you will know right away if you did not ground correctly. The first go a Nano beam M literally met a fiery demise.

Return to General Discussion