Possible low speed fan firmware?

tallmand

Re: Possible low speed fan firmware?

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 pm

I too have this same issue on WS-8-150-DC unit, however my units are off grid and being powered by solar. With the fans kicking on and of every few seconds this is causing a higher than normal discharge rate as the load increases each time the fan starts. Is there a status as to when we may see an update/fix? The reason I caught it was that we had a spell where it rained and was cloudy for a week or more in a row. I went through everything and noticed this. I have one here in the office in the air conditioning and it does it as well.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:08 am

Yes this is do to SUNON changing the fan specs on us.

They discontinued the fan we were using and replaced it with what they claimed was a direct replacement.

Turns out it is not, we do have a software fix being released in the next day or 2.

We use modified pulse to control the fan RPM, the new fan use 25KHz instead of the original fans using 100Hz.

We did not notice this as the fan passes the initial spin up test and reports RPM.

Sadly we took them at their word and did not do good enough testing.

We just discovered this last week and one of our programmers has been working on a firmware fix, in testing now.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

tallmand

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks for your quick response. Will be looking forward to the new update.

ZillnerIT

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:52 pm

same here a WS-8-150-DC => the Fan Starts and Stops every few Minutes with full speed , then half speed and then it is off but it makes much more Noise it should
+1 for a Fix

here you can see it:

I EDITED YOUR POST AND ADDED THE PICTURE AS EXPLAIN IN MY POST FOOTERS - SIRHC
publicpreview.png

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:16 pm

ZillnerIT wrote:same here a WS-8-150-DC => the Fan Starts and Stops every few Minutes with full speed , then half speed and then it is off but it makes much more Noise it should

I was testing my WS-8-DC today on rc12 and the fan always came on at around 4K, never full speed.

On an older WS-24 with bad fan bearings, one of the fans report over 12K for a fraction of a second but then drops down to around 4K.

ZillnerIT

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:42 pm

the Switch is a Brand New one, so it should not have bad fan bearings, (the Fan sounds ok but it is too loud when starting with max RPM)

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:32 pm

ZillnerIT wrote:the Switch is a Brand New one...)

It will have a different fan then since mine is one of the first production run years ago.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:50 am

ZillnerIT wrote:the Switch is a Brand New one, so it should not have bad fan bearings, (the Fan sounds ok but it is too loud when starting with max RPM)

With the new scheme the fan always starts at full speed or 8K for 1 second then slows down to 4K. We changed this behavior to help insure the fan does not get stuck on startup.

If your running v1.5.1rc12 or newer (v1.5.1 will be finalized soon) the fans work as intended).

We have tested these many many many many times for many many many hours.

Now sometimes the fan screws are too tight from our assembly line which can cause the fan blades to rub, just slightly loosen 1 or both fan screws a little bit until the blades stop rubbing. This does not happen often but can occur.

There are no bearings in these fans as I have expressed many times.

They are magnetic lev not bearings. This means the shaft is suspended by magnets not bearings.

If the fan screws are too tight then can cause the plastic fan chassis to slightly warp and twist which causes the blades to scrape the chassis, as I said just loosen them slightly.

But Monday or Tuesday I will again quadruple check the WS-8-150-DC fan behavior.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

ZillnerIT

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:10 am

than the the new fan scheme is really bad!
it is better to run the fan all the time with Speed of 1500 nearly noiseless than powering it up every few minutes with 8K and then 4K

please give an option for this "silent mode"

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:27 am

sirhc wrote:With the new scheme the fan always starts at full speed or 8K for 1 second then slows down to 4K. We changed this behavior to help insure the fan does not get stuck on startup...

Rather than an arbitrary 8K for 1 second, since the fan has a tach, drop the speed the moment you see the desired RPM.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion