Possible low speed fan firmware?

FLHSI
Associate
Associate

Possible low speed fan firmware?

Mon May 02, 2016 2:06 pm

Greetings all! long time no see.

We've got two WS-12-250-AC's in our new NOC. Basically powering IP phones, As well as test/programming runs to each desk. (Beats each desk having two POE's :) )

Anyways, The two switches are mounted under each desk row (two of them). And in an office environment they are actually a bit noisy. Granted, This isn't your typical install for these things. But they fit the bill better then other switches.

Since these things will have a nice comfy life inside an A/C'd office. Is it possible to get a modified firmware that slows the fans down a little? Currently the Fans spin ~5K according to the status page.

These things will never do more then 40W POE output at one time. My assumption is they can't turn any slower, Or it'll decrease the life of the switch just from the hot air becoming stagnant. But I figured I'd ask anyways.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Switches are running 1.3.9

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Possible low speed fan firmware?

Mon May 02, 2016 2:16 pm

The fans only run when they are needed so if they are running right now in the AC that means they are needed to run.

We really compressed a lot of stuff onto a small board and it heats up quickly because it is so small.

In a typical 70F environment those fans will turn about 5K

Would it be OK to slow the fans down to very slow in an indoor environment...probably yes, but the problem is if we put something in the firmware like that what prevents people from turning that option on when if fact the switch is in a HOT environment?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Mon May 02, 2016 2:19 pm

Do the fans run all the time or cycle on and off often? They already control the speed based on their internal temps so they should not run any faster than they need to.

My WS-24 runs the fan only for short periods and at around 2500 RPM. I have asked for an option to have them run all the time at a lower RPM so that they don't keep starting and stopping. My thinking is that if the fan ran all the time on low that it would stay cool enough to not have to kick it up a notch.

I think listening to them run all the time on a low speed is less noticeable than having them turn on and off constantly.

FLHSI
Associate
Associate

Mon May 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

It is about 74F in the room. Or at least that's what the AC is set to.

I didn't assume the switches had a fan "off" mode. Apparently, It's never been cold enough for them to shut off here. Makes sense. They DO run all the time for me.

As far as distributing a fan control feature in software. I completely agree. Giving that power to the end user is a risk. I wasn't specifically asking for that exactly. Perhaps just a one-off that someone specifically compiled for me. Didn't even want control. Just a modified firmware that was statically set a little lower then the "production" firmware. Even sent to me privately for that matter.

I have no idea what goes into to making this "one-off" firmware. Just figured I'd ask.

If the fans really do have an "off" mode, And my environment is just warm enough to warrant them running it's not a big deal. Just wanted to cut down on some of the pink-noise here.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Mon May 02, 2016 4:10 pm

I'm not familiar with the WS-12 so don't know if the fan would run on a lower speed if it is in a colder place. I think the WS-24 has more fans and the larger case has more room for airflow so it might (or not) run quieter in the same environment.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon May 02, 2016 4:11 pm

All models will stop the fan if in a cool enough environment.

For the WS-12-250-AC unit and similar models that would require a room temp below 68F and then depends on how much wattage your pushing and how much data as the more data the warmer the core gets.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

wisphopefull

Sat May 21, 2016 9:56 pm

I just received the WS-10-250-AC and I'm surprised by how much the fan stays on (all the time).

Are there SSH commands to turn the fan on / off or can we at least customize the temp range where they kick in?

I just plugged it in for first time and its running at 2000rpm without any PoE load, room temp is 24c

I'm wary about putting it into a sealed enclosure aswell as draining my UPS battery quickly.
Attachments
WS temps.jpg

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat May 21, 2016 10:07 pm

The fan run as much as it "need" to run.

garciac@co.yamhill.or.us

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Hello, I am using a 250-AC in an office environment for setting up other devices. My question is this. Why do my fans when they do come on go to 8700rpm for a few seconds then kick of then come back on a few seconds later? The temps between 57-60C. I have the 1.50 firmware. Below is a screenshot.
Attachments
netonix.PNG
netonix.PNG (8.84 KiB) Viewed 9246 times

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:19 pm

This is a known issue, we look to fix in next firmware release v1.5.1rc9

It does not hurt anything just can be annoying to someone if they are in ear shot of it.

Since our switches are designed for WISPs and often placed in remote towers it was not found until recently.

Next
Return to General Discussion