WS-6-Mini - power supply?

sporkman

WS-6-Mini - power supply?

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:42 pm

If I'm reading things right, I should be able to power an AF24 as well as two smaller units (Nanobeam ac and Rocket 5ac) from this switch. Is the higher power AirFiber PoE injector going to supply enough power for everything?

Also we have another WS-6-Mini on a rooftop with the recommended 3rd party outdoor enclosure. It's been fine so far, but I'm really concerned about how hot these units will get in the direct sun in the summertime. I assume that I can grab all the temperature readings I see in the web UI via snmp, what is a good max temp to monitor for?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: WS-6-Mini - power supply?

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:06 pm

I would not try to power an AF24 and 2 airMAX radios with an AF24 POE Brick no.

AF24 POE brick is 1.2A @ 50 V or 60watts

AF24 50W+/-
(2) airMAX radios say can peak at 12W +/- each (more for AC airMAX radios) so 24W

50W + 24W = 74W
Then the switch needs 4-6 watts so 80W peak

Now you could power an AFX radio and (2) airMAX radios with and AF24 POE Brick.

I am not sure why you ask, it is pretty easy math? Do not forget to account for cable loss.

Now if your powering the WS-6-MINI with a 48VH port from a WISP switch you get 50V 1.5A constant or 75W constant with a the ability to peak little more.

Would I put these in DIRECT sunlight, no not if I can help it.

These are all common sense and simple math and for thought questions and answers. :idea:

Always use your common sense and do a little math. :cheers:

And people wonder why they have to put warning signs on top of step ladders that say "NOT a step". :nono:

Sure you can step on it but you are aware it is not smart. :crazy:
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sporkman

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:43 pm

I guess I should re-word it - since the mini can power everything if it in turn has enough juice, is there a simple plug-in PoE cube other than the UBNT AF injector that would get me to 80W? I know you don't sell that directly, but looking for any community input.

On the sunlight issue, I'm just kind of assuming most people don't have towers with shade trees over them. :)

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:55 pm

If you want to power an AF24 and a couple airMAX radios the only thing you could use "currently" available would be to power it with another WISP Switch 48VH port.

We are trying to secure a 53V 1.8A POE brick, maybe this summer.

As far as towers and shade trees goes - ha ha ha

But seriously I am a WISP myself with 15 towers so what you do is mount the box if possible in a way that it gets shaded by the tower itself, an antenna, or other object on the tower. Also use common sense and mount it edge wise in the direct sun and not so the full face has a southern exposure and catches the most sun.

I think there was a post on a large POE adapter that was tested.

The AF24 POE adapter works great to power an AFX or MIMOSA radio for back haul and 2 or maybe 3 airMAX radios, or four airMAX radios and no AF.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

ryanm

Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:34 pm

If you have 12/24v DC power available at the site, I've been using this DC converter and power cord with good results.

converter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301327429056

and power cord:
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDet ... ey172-4201

The heaviest load that I have on a MINI, though, is about 25-35w (AF5X and picostation... occasionally a rocket).

sporkman

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:40 pm

So it's been pretty warm today, how do these temperatures look? What's the "danger zone" on these units?

Also included a DC WS-8 that's mounted at ground level in a large enclosure with a battery string and such for comparison. That one's upstate though.

OIDs for monitoring the temperatures?

Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 4.31.50 PM.png
ws-6 rooftop 1

Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 4.32.20 PM.png
ws-6 rooftop 2

Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 4.33.11 PM.png
ws-8

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:44 pm

They look fine! :cheers:

Banana Jack

Mon May 02, 2016 7:40 am

sporkman wrote:Also we have another WS-6-Mini on a rooftop with the recommended 3rd party outdoor enclosure.

What's "the recommended 3rd party outdoor enclosure" out of curiosity please sporkman? Waterproofed tower-mounted WS-6-MINI switches could save us quite a lot of cabling ;)

Thanks
Glenn

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Mon May 02, 2016 8:30 am

WirelessRudy

Mon May 30, 2016 10:25 am

We have a WS-6-Mini powered up by 55mtrs of ethernet cable. We'd use the ubnt Airfibre 50v/1.2A power adapter to supply the mini.
Due some stupidity (someone tied the ethernet cable to 1mtrs stretch of a 'cattle-wire' with 10KV on it!!!) this adapter is not working anymore. Last one in our stock off course...

Checked out our suppier of Netonix but they don't have the proper supply (PoE inserter) available!
All offered models (even after a phonecall to their sales!) are 2 pair supply only!

Yet again this shows how bad it is these devices don't come with their PoE power inserter supply. I'd presume many users fit these devices in a tower and need to bring the PoE?
A proper sized barrel connector could also be of help. I have about 300 adapters from different branches and even some 'One fits all' adapters with the changeable plugs in drawers but so far could not find one barrel connector that fits the mini's...... :cry:

Why not take care the sales chain of your product line at least would have the proper power supply units available?

Now I have to start searching on the internet where I can find one :???:

Next
Return to General Discussion