Connector movement in netonix switch causes drops

Mike

Connector movement in netonix switch causes drops

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:08 pm

Ok I have 2 brand new netonix 6 port mini and was testing cables between them and the cable test works great between switches had exact same distance on cables testing from both switches and lengths were perfect so that was all great. Now the problem is this: if you was to hold the switch in your hand for example and the cables were tilted down due to the weight of the cables it was occasionally taking the cat 5 connector off from the pins. Flip switch over and they all connect back because pressure is on the pins. This happened on 3 of 4 cables and happened on both switchs is was more or less random as we moved switch around. Even sitting on flat surface you had to be careful and wiggle contacts a couple of times. Now this was using ubiquit carrier cable with ubiquiti shielded ends. Now these ends were crimped perfectly with new tool and from a guy that has put on over a thousand ends in his life and it was not a bad crimp. We even cut an end off and re-did it with precision to confirm it wasn't an end and same thing happened. You can tell its the movement of the fitting inside the port that causes it not the cable inside of the fitting. It seems a little loose to me especially going in and out it seems to back out too far before it locks and maybe it's because the netonix ends may be a little bigger or something so I just wanted to point this out as it caused a couple hours of wondering what was going on when testing the cables as we thought we had some bad ends until we kept running into the same issue. I am going to make sure cables are locked down where they enter the switch to make sure no movement can be had.

Mike

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Connector movement in netonix switch causes drops

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:04 pm

You are not the first to report this issue however most people including me never seem to have it.

Since we purchase our RJ45 jacks from a supplier and there really is not that many companies that make the RJ45 sockets/jacks these RJ45 jacks/sockets are used in many other switches.

We obviously do not design these parts simply purchase them from the manufacturer but I suppose we could look at other manufacturers/suppliers/vendors for these jacks but most people do not have issues which is not to say we should not investigate the option of other suppliers?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Mike

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:49 pm

In my life I have plugged in thousands of cat 5 ends and have "felt" the click and movement of these through the years and some cables plug in and click and are pretty tight in all directions and some are terrible so you never know depending on the jack, ends, patch cables etc. in this case to me, it seems looser then most and seems to fall back out further then it should before it holds so I would look into this. Most people may not notice if they mount it first and plug cables straight in etc. I will say I have the 24 b and had no issues either because I mounted it first or it may have different jacks than the mini's but its something to keep your eye on for anyone else reading just make sure cable pressure is not in such a way that takes pressure off the pins to the contacts.

Mike

Dave
Employee
Employee

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:57 pm

Mike

Thanks, we will keep an eye out & check some connectors also for fitting.

Dave

aaron@futuretk.com

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:41 pm

We are experiencing the same thing regularly. We have been using the Netonix connectors, but lately we've been having issues with them not staying plugged in 100% of the way on Ubiquity AF11fx radios.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 pm

aaron@futuretk.com wrote:We are experiencing the same thing regularly. We have been using the Netonix connectors, but lately we've been having issues with them not staying plugged in 100% of the way on Ubiquity AF11fx radios.

Everyone as reported issues with connectors not staying plugged into the AFX radio line and not with just our connectors but also the UBNT connectors.

This thread was originally created a long time ago about our "WS-6-MINI" and "WS-8-250-AC" model which some people reported issues with connectors not staying in with also RF Armor Connectors and UBNT connectors. That switch used a differnt RJ45 stack than the other models.

We have not had any complaints with the WS-6-MINI units in a while and the WS-8-250-AC model is no longer made.

The issue with the AFX radios (2/3/5/11) is an issue with the RF45 socket on the radios not the connector as people report the issue with any crimp end.

You can search the UBNT Forums and find people discussing this issue and workarounds they use.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

aaron@futuretk.com

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:28 pm

Thank you for you're reply. The switches I'm experiencing the loose connector issue on are the larger models. The one I'm testing with today is a WS-12-250-AC.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:49 pm

aaron@futuretk.com wrote:Thank you for you're reply. The switches I'm experiencing the loose connector issue on are the larger models. The one I'm testing with today is a WS-12-250-AC.

I do not know what to say, we are not seeing it here or my WISP guys, make sure you bend the tang up a little?

We do see the RJ45 connector issue on AFX radios which has been a pain but as I said this happens with both ours and UBNT connectors?

aaron@futuretk.com

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:48 pm

sirhc wrote:
aaron@futuretk.com wrote:Thank you for you're reply. The switches I'm experiencing the loose connector issue on are the larger models. The one I'm testing with today is a WS-12-250-AC.

I do not know what to say, we are not seeing it here or my WISP guys, make sure you bend the tang up a little?

We do see the RJ45 connector issue on AFX radios which has been a pain but as I said this happens with both ours and UBNT connectors?

We have verified the tangs are bent up sufficiently. We are converting to Netonix at around 200 of our tower sites, and have seen this at about a dozen sites that I'm aware of. Typically the issue is primarily on the even numbered port where the weight of the cable hanging down pulls the connector away from the pins. On the Odd numbered ports the leverage is the other direction and the cable weight helps keep the connectors pressed firmly against the pins.

We may have to start adding shielded couplers and stranded shielded patch cables to keep the stiffer tower cable from applying any force on these ports.

Return to General Discussion