Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:51 am

Any ideas what could be wrong?
Thanks

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Can't set time on ws-6

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:06 pm

kdizzle wrote:Any ideas what could be wrong?

Your switch would need to have internet access to talk to a public time server such as "pool.ntp.org".

It would also need access to a DNS server to resolve the name to '208.75.89.4'

I DO NOT RECOMMEND PUTTING INFRASTRUCTURE EQUIPMENT ON THE NET DIRECTLY UNLESS YOU WANT PEOPLE TO TRY AND GAIN ACCESS TO IT?

Since most people do not assign their infrastructure equipment a valid internet routable IP or even an IP that is routable to the internet via NAT they need to have a local NTP server that is routable to all their equipment inside their network as well as a DNS server if using a name instead of an IP.

At my WISP we have a "local" NTP server for all our equipment that has access to the internet but is pretty heavily firewalled out so as not to be a hack target but all of my internal invalid IPs have routable access to it from inside my network.

For instance most of my switches are located at 172.17.X.X addresses which are totally routable inside my network but can not route to the internet directly so no hacker can access them directly.

We also have this NTP server setup in our local DNS zone files so we can simply put the URL in for the NTP server.
For this to work our DNS servers also have ZONE files for our local IPs that route inside our network only.

So in closing if your switch does not have a direct routable address or a NAT routable address with access to the WWW you need to have a local NTP server accessible inside your network.

For instance if your switch is located at 10.10.10.10 and that subnet is not routed through a NAT then how do you expect it to reach a WWW public time server such as "pool.ntp.org" or '208.75.89.4' ? IT CAN NOT
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

kdizzle

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:17 pm

Thanks Chris. That makes sense. I have one at home that works. Must be because it's on my network. Other is remote. No problem not needed just making sure there is no issue.

penypinch

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Cancel Figured it out
Thanks

*****************Just opened a WS-10 and update firmware
Gave it a IP with internet access
set ntp to 0.pool.ntp.org
ssh into WS-10
can ping 0.pool.ntp.org and 205.171.2.65
WS-10 shows "TIME NOT SET"
have searched for an answer but cannot find one???
Is this the correct place to ask for help?
New to this forum
Mitch
Thanks
Mitch
support@abetterwireless.com
When it's not fun anymore bury me

dlwest

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:00 am

FWIW, I'm having the same problem and found this while researching. I also isolate my infrastructure from the net and also have a local NTP server (my ingress/egress router, as it happens). The Netonix is on 172.16.0.x, the router is on 172.16.0.1, and I can query NTP from other devices in the 172.16.0.x subnet. Not the biggest problem on my plate, but still would like it to work.

EDIT: A week and not a peep. Same issue on all the Netonix switches in my network, and I know the NTP infrastructure works for the simple reason that all the other (non-Netonix) NTP clients on that subnet work (that is, sync the time) just fine. They're all firmware version 1.4.8rc10, fwiw.

Return to General Discussion